• Thread starter Thread starter Outlander
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 3,578

Outlander

Regular
ISP
BSNL
I've got a desktop (P4 3.0 Ghz, 2 GB DDR2 RAM, motherboard Intel DG102GGC2) and a laptop (i3 2.4 Ghz, 4 GB DDR3 RAM). I've connected them both with a 150 MBPS wireless routerBoth computers are running Win 7. The desktop is connected by cable, and the laptop by wireless. When I transfer files between the two computers, I get only from half to one mbps speed. At one mbps, it takes 700 seconds to transfer one CD.If the router is 150 mbps, why am I getting so low speeds, and how do I speed it up to about 10 or 20 mbps? If I get a 300 mbps router, will I get better speeds?

check the settings in router. 54 should get good speed. i dont remember, but it took an okay time to transfer files for me.

Connect them by ethernet cable only. Any Wifi connection causes loss of packets and drastic reduction of transfer speed. Consider these ideal scenarios:If your router's ethernet port is 100mbit, then you will get 100/8 = 12.5 mBps transfer speed. Ideally 10-11 mBps.If your router, laptop and desktop all have gigabit ethernet ie, 1000mbit and if you have connected using CAT5e or CAT6 specification ethernet cables, you can get transfer speed as fast as your hard disk can spin. Ideally 50-60 mBps

Right click on your wireless network and then goto properties in your laptop, what speed does it show?

if your network card doesn't support multiple streams, the window would probably be something like this:

I don't want to connect by ethernet cable. That means connecting and disconnecting the cable everytime I want to transfer a large file.The wireless network status windows show this: Duration : 5 days 23:07:24 (and counting)Speed: 54.0 MbpsRest all is same as yours.This is with the laptop right next to the router.@ Manu: what does the torrent to http in your signature mean? I opened the site but it says site is filled to capacity.Edit: @Manu: I found out what it is, but does it work?

from what i understand. you would need... n routern wi-fi on laptopgigabit lan on desktopand the enter local network configured to n. i believe any legacy device would slow down the entire network. not sure though. but file transfer between a wired and a wireless device through a router has always been a terribly slow experience for me too. i end up using a removable hard disk.

I don't want to connect by ethernet cable. That means connecting and disconnecting the cable everytime I want to transfer a large file.

The wireless network status windows show this:
Duration : 5 days 23:07:24 (and counting)
Speed: 54.0 Mbps
Rest all is same as yours.

This is with the laptop right next to the router.

@ Manu: what does the torrent to http in your signature mean? I opened the site but it says site is filled to capacity.
Edit: @Manu: I found out what it is, but does it work?
So your router is connecting at g speeds (54 mbps) in which 1 mBps is par for the course.

What wifi adapter does your laptop have?

Goto run > msinfo32 > Network > Adapter and post the model of your wifi adapter.

I'll do that when I turn on the laptop, but at present I can tell you that when I was installing the drivers, the name was Atheros.Also, the pdf of my laptop says these features are present in it:10/100 EthernetWi-Fi Wireless Networking (802.11b/g/n)

I've got a desktop (P4 3.0 Ghz, 2 GB DDR2 RAM, motherboard Intel DG102GGC2) and a laptop (i3 2.4 Ghz, 4 GB DDR3 RAM). I've connected them both with a 150 MBPS wireless router

Both computers are running Win 7. The desktop is connected by cable, and the laptop by wireless. When I transfer files between the two computers, I get only from half to one mbps speed. At one mbps, it takes 700 seconds to transfer one CD.

If the router is 150 mbps, why am I getting so low speeds, and how do I speed it up to about 10 or 20 mbps? If I get a 300 mbps router, will I get better speeds?
speed depends on lots of things ...like hard disk RPM+lan port speed+antivirus product+router+wifi signal
list can go on ..ur getting decent speed ...according to ur system build
i saw ur system very old .... historic .

Back