speeds greater than 1 gigabit?

ISP
Airtel Xstream
gigabit connections are available these days so i had a question in mind. Are there consumer grade routers that have wan and lan ports say supporting 2.5g? or 5g? or 10g?

you get fiber to onu, but all the onu's/routers have only gigabit wan and lan port. So if you are on a gigabit connection, you wont be able to cross 1gbps, it would get limited at 900-950Mbps right? because of limitation of gig wan and lan ports.

so i started looking for such routers out of curiosity but i didnt find any router that has both wan and lan ports that will support more than 1 gig.
i dont know much about networking so im just curious how it works.

There are already few high end wifi 6 routers from Netgear, Asus, TP-Link which have 2.5 gbps wan port and even one i saw had 5 gbps wan port. Just check out the technical specs of the routers in their websites.

The issue is not with unavailability of ethernet port. If something is available for business users and have meaningful usecase for retail users, it will be marketed.
Since no ONU has more than gigabit Ethernet capability, it makes no commercial sense to market product with 2.5G LAN port for end users.
If someone really have such needs, they usually use aggregation of multiple ethernet switch rarely.
Most of such needs are fulfilled by SFP+ more economically.

in countries like romania, south korea, singapore, isps are already providing speeds greater than 1 gigabit to residential connections. any idea like what type of equipment they give to users to enable such high speeds?

Recently found out that Apple sells a 10g version of Mac Mini in India. Hardware is available if you are ready to pay the price.

A little off-topic. What's the real world use of above 1gbps speeds for a residential user. Even 1gbps is too much overkill for a residential connections

in countries like romania, south korea, singapore, isps are already providing speeds greater than 1 gigabit to residential connections. any idea like what type of equipment they give to users to enable such high speeds?
The equipment there will still be limited to 1Gbps LAN in most cases unless you provide your own switch. Even then, the use case for more than 1Gbps is for more than one device to be able to receive 1Gbps over LAN. Not necessarily for one device to get more than 1Gbps even though that's more than possible, you just have to shell out the money.

Back