Sudden reduction in MTNL speed (Mumbai - Ghatkopar)

• Thread starter Thread starter uchitshah
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 4,348
Hi Guys I am facing exaxtly the same problem..... Ghatkopar (w) exchange.... i was out of town too for a few days and ever since i have been plagued by two problems.... 1) The internet connection would disconnect and reconnect itself after every 4-5 minutes (approximately 5 min ON and 2 min OFF)...In this mode i was getting my usual speed of around 210-220 KBps using TORRENTS even though the disconnection was frustratingly infuriating and in effect o couldnt download anything. 2) Since yesterday however even though the connection is steady , My speed it seems is capped to around 50 Kbps.... :cry: Is there something that i am doing wrong .... I tried complaining at 1504 , they gave me docket number and asked me to change the modulation in the ADSL configuration page to G.DMT from ADSL 2+ (model mtnl issued UT-304R2), that really hasnt helped at all. Is there something any one can offer as to what i can to do to remedy the problem, even right telephone numbers in the exchange would be of a great help... UchitShah... Your problem seems similar to mine... how did you manage to resolve your problem.... thanks in advance ashish

Hi Guys

I am facing exaxtly the same problem..... Ghatkopar (w) exchange.... i was out of town too for a few days and ever since i have been plagued by two problems....

1) The internet connection would disconnect and reconnect itself after every 4-5 minutes (approximately 5 min ON and 2 min OFF)...In this mode i was getting my usual speed of around 210-220 KBps using TORRENTS even though the disconnection was frustratingly infuriating and in effect o couldnt download anything.

2) Since yesterday however even though the connection is steady , My speed it seems is capped to around 50 Kbps.... :cry:

Is there something that i am doing wrong .... I tried complaining at 1504 , they gave me docket number and asked me to change the modulation in the ADSL configuration page to G.DMT from ADSL 2+ (model mtnl issued UT-304R2), that really hasnt helped at all.

Is there something any one can offer as to what i can to do to remedy the problem, even right telephone numbers in the exchange would be of a great help...

UchitShah... Your problem seems similar to mine... how did you manage to resolve your problem....

thanks in advance

ashish

Well, the procedure I adopted is a bit technical but easy to understand.
Don't try to do if you are not well verse with computer knowledge and let ur engineer do it for you.

1) I double checked for virus.
2) I checked applications and are they using net @ backend or not.
if yes, I did the changed to stop that usage.
3) Reinstall my LAN Drivers completely.
4) I restores default setting for router and formatted it.
5) Did all the basic setting for MTNL again in router.

and checked it again the problem was solved.

Even check that there is no problem in ur telephone line wire or connection.

But don't apply this technique immediately wait for 2 days that is what even I did. Most of the time it is a problem from there side and get rectify with 1 or 2 days.

Well ..... have fun and do all this carefully.

Hi Uchit thanks for the reply ...

let me take this step by step

1) double checked for viruses...None present

2) No application using net connection

3) LAN Drivers shall reinstall right away

4) restored modem to factory settings and did the basic reconfiguration

but still no joy

one thing which i notice as unusual is that on the ADSL router GUI web page (http://192.168.1.1/)

if you go on the status tab and click on ADSL on the left you'd find some statistics showing ADSL status

the most alarming in mine is the data rate which for both upstream and downstream is showing as 512 kbps...ideally it should be 2048 Kbps ...can you check up yours and tell me...

any other help would be more than welcome

^ well thats the fault. MTNL has set your speeds to 512kbps.as you said earlier, your connection was very unstable. maybe your line is weak and isnt capable of transfering at 2mbps. post the other ADSL stats on that same page which shows snr margin, data rate, line attenuation.

got similar problems @ MTNL Bandra exchange. cant help apart from trying our luck with #$%^@# useless helpdesk and 1504. downstream is 507 and upstream (surprisingly!) is 511

It can happen during rainy days, my speed tests are as follows.
http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/9507/speed2an7.jpg
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/8402/adslstatus2cb7.jpg

I would like to ask techies/freaks is 599 plan feasible on my line?
I stay bloody far(1.5km) from exchange also there is lot stray disturbances in my telephone line?

I would like to ask techies/freaks is 599 plan feasible on my line?

The Plan is feasible,any plan is feasible on your line.
What you should be concerned about is

[*]Frequent disconnections
[*]Reduced speed
[/list]due to the 1.5 km distance.
Try talking to the MTNL Triband DE/DGM at your exchange and show them screen shots of SNR/ATT
If ur lucky they may give u a new line within the same cable, and hopefully that will be better.
In Mumbai we are lucky to have under ground cables(better than over head wires and poles), But Unlucky coz BMC and everyone else keeps digging up the roads every few days and cutting those very cables

Back