TATA SKY DTH cheating by charging more for pay per view movies on demand

• Thread starter Thread starter ganguly
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 38
  • Views Views 5,969
In my ideal world, I could purchase any STB as per my budget. Warranty is not linked to very costly installation but limited to STB only so I can try my installation skills :). Then I can purchase channel subscription from any of service provider, which further will sell channels subscription per channel basis. They might offer some discount on long term commitment . If I don't buy any subscription then I should be free to view FTA channels. I know its dream... but its nice. :thumb:

Well Rs.100 for the movie is on higher side. The same Movie "Do Not Disturb" is available on Dishtv from today that is before one day and the price is Rs.75/-

of course you are locked.

of course you cannot simply change to another DTH service provider because the STBs are locked.

think of this situation:

one theater is selling tickets at Rs. 50 and the other one is selling a ticket for the same movie for Rs. 100...

it is not really cheating. because the customer 'retains' the right to order. of course since you are locked in this particular case, it is a misfortune. still not cheating. :)

i know what you are trying to say here. i agree with you that Tata Sky is playing a bad sport here by charging more for the same movie. and they are exploiting their customer base.

but TRAI has to be blamed for the mess. they have to come out with stronger regulations.

----------

another case scenario...

airtel, vodafone, aircel and others have different calling charges. but the service essentially is the same. if one player decides to charge more for the same service compared to another one... would you call it a cheating? :)

as for the theatre egs....the diff prices are coz of diff convenient services offered by the two theatres....i.e one wud have better seats, projection system,sound, etc...nd so is charging rs.100... but the other one wud have very basic servies of the above nd hence the price is half......

But here the product offering is ditto same nd even the date is same.....infact airtel has MP-4 but Tata Sky DTH has only MP-2 technology (ofcourse in pvr its mp4).....so in this case it is nothing but pure customer exploitation.....nd yes trai shud wake up its high tym dey do .

one wud have better seats

that is a very subjective point. i knew someone would raise this question.

DT has probably the most expensive tickets here in Gurgaon. But the quality is average and comparable to rival theaters. I have seen some movies there but could not figure out why they were charging more. I end up going to another theater which I think is a better value for money.

And yes, I know MoD on Tata Sky or zee dish tv or reliance big tv is going to be essentially the same. But you cannot dispute the fact that tata sky probably thinks that they can get away with charging more because they tend to have premium customers compared to reliance or dish tv.

I do not what Tata Sky really meant by PREMIUM customers...If TataSky only want to focus on higher society customers, the content what they provide are not rich and still the same as what other DTH is providing...If there more foreign channels and content specific channels then they can say their focus is on different kind of customers...The Output what they provide is same, but their expectation to get the customers are different... it is a conflict in their policy and they should revise this.

HIT THEM WHERE IT HURTS MORE..:madness:Spread this Tata Sky Experience to everyone you know may be print media also and stop any new customer for them.

that is a very subjective point. i knew someone would raise this question.
And yes, I know MoD on Tata Sky or zee dish tv or reliance big tv is going to be essentially the same. But you cannot dispute the fact that tata sky probably thinks that they can get away with charging more because they tend to have premium customers compared to reliance or dish tv.

(I am not supporting TATASKY, but) the movie quality transmission could also differ by different operators. Like experience of Video quality on LCD Plasma TV, Stereo/Surround sound audio for MOD. Based on this difference operators can charge according to their business need.
But if anybody can claim that quality wise (Audio/Video) all DTH operators are broadcasting same movie content and yet charging higher then its CHEATING.
PS: Anyways for movie like Do Knot Disturb it would not matter on Audio/Video quality, but for Hollywood movies this experience matters.

Best thing that can happen is DD Direct+ should start beaming Pay channels so anyone who want to view Paychannel can recharge for that amount and enjoy otherwise you have FTA channels.

Best thing that can happen is DD Direct+ should start beaming Pay channels so anyone who want to view Paychannel can recharge for that amount and enjoy otherwise you have FTA channels.

Its Ok upto FTA channels or else they too will start forming packs of grouped channels.

Back