Tata Sky+ DTH Service: Tata Sky DVR STB supports MPEG4

• Thread starter Thread starter amc8881
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 45
  • Views Views 23,012
it only says that the dvr can record in mpeg4, but nowhere is it mentioned that it can catch mpeg4 signals...

it only says that the dvr can record in mpeg4, but nowhere is it mentioned that it can catch mpeg4 signals...

Friend,
Their FAQ is confusable:huh:.

If it says it can record MPEG-4, then it do supports MPEG-4 reception, because basically its video decoder which is responsible for MPEG 2/MPEG 4 video decoding. (So soon Tata Sky STB's would be MPEG 4 capable, but now transmission should also slowly shift to MPEG 4 so number of channels could be increased)

Their website is Sexy!!:dance: Competing to Airtel DTH site!!Good Design again!:thumb:

wow!!!!!!!!! it even has meshed dish....the hardware cost around 9000 i am surprised

If it says it can record MPEG-4, then it do supports MPEG-4 reception, because basically its video decoder which is responsible for MPEG 2/MPEG 4 video decoding. (So soon Tata Sky STB's would be MPEG 4 capable, but now transmission should also slowly shift to MPEG 4 so number of channels could be increased)

Have a look at their FAQs, they say that "Tata Sky+" has MPEG 4 technology... not "Tata Sky+ Set Top Box" or the recorder has MPEG 4 - there is a huge difference in that, isn't there? In fact they say that the difference between Tata Sky and Tata Sky+ is the fact that Tata Sky+ has MPEG 4 technology and I quote...

How is Tata Sky+ service different from Tata Sky service?
Tata Sky+ has MPEG4 technology, and an in-built personal video recorder that enables you to record live TV, play back a recorded programme and pause & rewind live TV. These features are not available on Tata Sky service.

(see Tata Sky+ website - Link - DTH ? Tata Sky DTH in India, Leading Satellite Television Provider in India, DTH services by Tata Sky, Direct-to-home, India)

Have a look at their FAQs, they say that \"Tata Sky+\" has MPEG 4 technology... not \"Tata Sky+ Set Top Box\" or the recorder has MPEG 4 - there is a huge difference in that, isn't there? In fact they say that the difference between Tata Sky and Tata Sky+ is the fact that Tata Sky+ has MPEG 4 technology...
TATASKY+ is new service on existing service. There would be no seperate transmission, so the existing MPEG-2 transmission will remain. But the STB's used for new service are MPEG-4 capable, so incase if we are able to use this STB's for any other operator with MPEG-4, then we can use it unlike current STB's which are not capable of that (But STB must also be interoperable)
and I quote...

How is Tata Sky+ service different from Tata Sky service?
Tata Sky+ has MPEG4 technology, and an in-built personal video recorder that enables you to record live TV, play back a recorded programme and pause & rewind live TV. These features are not available on Tata Sky service.

(see Tata Sky+ website - Link - DTH ? Tata Sky DTH in India, Leading Satellite Television Provider in India, DTH services by Tata Sky, Direct-to-home, India)
Right again except Tata Sky+ has MPEG4 technology. STB's are capable of MPEG-4 reception (along with existing MPEG-2 transmission as well)

I can only say this based on SKY+ service of UK, which is PVR service on existing DTH service and no seperate transmission is done for SKY+

wow!!!!!!!!! it even has meshed dish....

the hardware cost around 9000 i am surprised

But why are they charging Rs.50 p.m. after selling the STB :confused:

And you will not be able to transfer the recordings stored on your Tata Sky+ digicomp to any other electronic device.

Back