Tata Sky+ DTH Service: Tata Sky DVR STB supports MPEG4

• Thread starter Thread starter amc8881
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 45
  • Views Views 23,012
Tata Sky+ is new service on existing service. There would be no seperate transmission, so the existing MPEG-2 transmission will remain. But the STB's used for new service are MPEG-4 capable, so incase if we are able to use this STB's for any other operator with MPEG-4, then we can use it unlike current STB's which are not capable of that (But STB must also be interoperable)

Right again except Tata Sky+ has MPEG4 technology. STB's are capable of MPEG-4 reception (along with existing MPEG-2 transmission as well)

I can only say this based on SKY+ service of UK, which is PVR service on existing DTH service and no seperate transmission is done for SKY+

If they aren't providing MPEG 4, then why will they advertise it in that manner? I would like to think that they would keep a MPEG 4 beam going for the Tata Sky+ subscribers - maybe that's why they are marketing it as a separate service. They may have taken separate transponder space for all you know ... actually maybe not - there's hardly any space available.

Off the issue, what's the big difference between the two anyway? I have heard that HD is provided on a MPEG 4 backbone but don't see how that matters as none of the operators are offering HD. Competely agree with you on interoperability - it's regulation. BTW, is anyone aware of whether the BIG TV and Airtel DTH STBs (both MPEG 4) are interoperable with Tata Sky and Dish (both MPEG 2)?

I take your point on the PVR service being similar to SKY+ but if the transmission is not in MPEG 4, how does saving the program in MPEG 4 make any difference?? Does Sky+ advertise that the service is MPEG 4 but beam only MPEG 2?

Guys, AFAIK it's MPEG4. :)

Friends,

Finally Tata Sky turns to MPEG4 technology. Their new DVR STB supports MPEG4.

Source DTH ? Tata Sky DTH in India, Leading Satellite Television Provider in India, DTH services by Tata Sky, Direct-to-home, India

I THINK ITS GOOD MOVE BY TATA SKY :thumb:

If they want to roll out MPEG4 they would need to get seperate transponders and all existing users would need to buy new STBs. Better would be to move over to Reliance or Airtel alltogether.

@Threadstarter y did u create the same topic wen it was posted by me before u:omod plz delete this

@Threadstarter

y did u create the same topic wen it was posted by me before u
:o
mod plz delete this

@cjignesh,

your thread just inform about new Tata Sky plus website and not about MPEG4. So my thread is discussing new MPEG4 STB and not new website. Also I post the FAQ page as source (not home page of site).

This is a new strategy by Ts but the cost of the STB is very high............anyway does any one have any idea whether Airtel STB or Big TV STB has got this PVR facility or the customers of Airtel and Big TV also need to buy separate STB for PVR like TS..........

ETV Marathi is now transmitted only in MPEG 4 but we are getting that on our old STB. So my guess is that TS must be downloding the signals using MPEG 4 receiver and then they must be uploading the signals to INSAT 4A in MPEG 2 format. So we will be able to receive MPEG 4 channels on our existing STB. Learned forum members can elaborate on this whether this is correct or not..

ETV broadcasts its channels in MPEG4. Service providers, Cable/DTH, decode them and retransmit in their suitable form.

Back