Tata Sky+ DTH Service: Tata Sky DVR STB supports MPEG4

• Thread starter Thread starter amc8881
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 45
  • Views Views 23,012
I think my posting was not made it very clear what I want to say. All HD equipment comes with component video out as well as HDMI, but you will get 1080P/ 1080i / 720P only through HDMI port. Component video output is limited to 576P max. T

I see that you are well aware on HDCP but only if you could google something like component vs HDMI or component out and HDCP u will be informed that HDCP mostly does not allow 1080p to come out of the component cable rest 720p or 1080i very well comeout of component with HDCP being there(As in case of the PS3).

Also if you will google on some sky+HD info and find out that there is no 1080p out from the HDMI box in the UK. They only give 1080i that is because the bandwidth required to transmit 1080p will take all their sattelite transponders. Same goes for directv in us, where there are already 150 HD channels available

So literally in India you will only get 1080i or 720p which I repeat needs no HDCP but if the Broadcasters wish and HDCP is forced upon us then TS will again upgrade :(. The audio will never be more than DD5.1 Not even DTS

So all component out/ optical stb are HD Ready. PS: The intial HD STBs in the US and UK also didnot have HDMI, though now they are HDCP compliant with HDMI but older STBs with component out still work.

i agree with you

Still I doubt anybody give HDMI cable free. May be I am wrong.

tomy there are lots of DVD players in the market who bundle free HDMI cable.

I see that you are well aware on HDCP but only if you could google something like component vs HDMI or component out and HDCP u will be informed that HDCP mostly does not allow 1080p to come out of the component cable rest 720p or 1080i very well comeout of component with HDCP being there(As in case of the PS3).

Also if you will google on some sky+HD info and find out that there is no 1080p out from the HDMI box in the UK. They only give 1080i that is because the bandwidth required to transmit 1080p will take all their sattelite transponders. Same goes for directv in us, where there are already 150 HD channels available

So literally in India you will only get 1080i or 720p which I repeat needs no HDCP but if the Broadcasters wish and HDCP is forced upon us then TS will again upgrade :(. The audio will never be more than DD5.1 Not even DTS

So all component out/ optical stb are HD Ready. PS: The intial HD STBs in the US and UK also didnot have HDMI, though now they are HDCP compliant with HDMI but older STBs with component out still work.

This posting forced me to revisit my fundas on HDCP. It is just out of interest.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

As far as I know one of the test cases for checking HDCP compliance is to check for any of the analog output (Component/ Composite/ S-Video) of the receiver outputting anything better than DVD quality video, it should be limited to 576P (PAL).
So looking at the PS3 specification I wondered how can it output 720P, 1080i /P etc. through analog connectors…. So decided to dig deeper and find out the truth and clear my fundas. Then I found a catch in the HDCP standard specification which says the onus is on the content provider to protect its source by setting a flag called ICT (Image constraint Token) to enforce the down conversion of the HD signal on its analog ports – read component video.

HDCP takes a stand it is a content protection standard and not a copy protection standard :) So if the ICT flag is not set the receiver is not bound by forced down conversion.
Now it is clear that content providers responsibility to set the ICT flag. There was difference in opinion in the market for its adoption since HDMI fitted sets were out even before HDCP came into play and made it compulsory from HDMI 1.3a version (If I am not mistaken). So as a compromise formula Sony announced that it will not set ICT flag for its content for the time being. Universal studio is also in Sony’s camp. But Warner Brothers refused to change its stand since ICT flag is their idea. So as of now Sony is not setting the ICT flag due to their varied business interest , but as an when HD became popular they may change the stand.

I am not sure how many HD TVs support accepting HD analog signal for 720P or higher. Searching in the net I found people have different opinions and fighting fiercely over it. Somebody mentioned that Microsoft XBOX site gives the list of TVs supporting this. Since the quality reduces as converting to analog and sending it through cable introduces noise you can hardly make out 720P or higher, many manufacturers may not support it since they have an HDMI connector anyway. From the manual I could see Sony X series supports HD through HDMI only. But I have not connected HD through and component video and tried,. May be one weekend I can experiment on this.
[FONT=&quot]
Again as per the Eurpean and Asian broadcasting standards (refer hdmi.org) all HD STBs are recommended to have HDMI. So still I feel Tata Sky HD box will be different. Currently I could not find an HD STB without a HDMI connector. I may be wrong.[/FONT]
More info on HDCP required.

Again as per the Eurpean and Asian broadcasting standards (refer hdmi.org) all HD STBs are recommended to have HDMI. So still I feel Tata Sky HD box will be different. Currently I could not find an HD STB without a HDMI connector. I may be wrong.
More info on HDCP required.

TataSky HD Box will have to be different in due course as Marketing issues will drive that...but not for next two years...as they waited two years to launch TS+...If u visit the history of Sky or DirecTV which are pretty old now(So would have been TS if it would have launched in 98-99 when Rupert Murdoch offered that in India but the Indian Government refused)...u will find that they both launched their +HD services 2 yrs back with Component along with HDMI(The people their don't mind paying extra for HDMI but indian market is very price sensitive...u can see on this forum only how many ppl are still waiting for prices to drop for TS+)....but coming to the point ...Both Sky+HD and DirecTV + HD have stopped STBs with Component out but are giving only HDMI out STBs which are HDCP Compliant and TVs with HDMI but without HDCP don't play these signals.... Still they allw 1080i out of their older STBs with Component out. That is the present situation there...it might change in due time.
But it will be two years from now for India to reach there and Indian customer will never pay Rs 5000/- monthly which DirecTV + HD costs in dollar terms

Back