Tata Sky+ DTH Service: Tata Sky pulls out new trick as DTH war heats up

• Thread starter Thread starter amc8881
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 5,005

amc8881

ISP
BSNL DataOne
The Direct-to-Home (DTH) war in India is seeing a new strategy emerge. Established players are latching on to television recording from television viewing.

When strong rats enter the race, change the rules. That's the mantra established DTH operator Tata Sky is chanting. With Reliance Big TV and Airtel entering the DTH space, Tata Sky is now going premium. And it is banking on Tata Sky Plus to do what VCRs did to VCPs.

Vikram Kaushik, CEO, Tata Sky, said, �What Tata Sky Plus does is apart from playing the role of a set-top box, it has the ability to pause live TV, to rewind or fast forward it. It also allows the user to record one programme while watching another.�

The set-top box will be priced at about Rs 9,000, and Tata Sky hopes up to 50% of its new subscribers will choose this service. Existing customers will also be offered an upgrade.

Of the 125 million television households in the country, only 5 million are DTH customers and around 2 million of them are Tata Sky customers. And Tata Sky hopes its premium service will help it increase its reach.

But Tata Sky is not alone. Rival Dish TV is currently testing its own version of the TV recording service, and new entrant Reliance Big TV says it will buy upto 2.5 lakh set-top boxes with recording facility. Big TV also plans to better Tata Sky, pricing these boxes at around Rs 7,000 each. So get ready to sit back and keep your TV viewing schedule choc-a-bloc with your favourite shows.

Source Moneycontrol >> News >> Business >> Tata Sky pulls out new trick as DTH war heats up

The set-top box will be priced at about Rs 9,000, and Tata Sky hopes up to 50% of its new subscribers will choose this service. Existing customers will also be offered an upgrade

Thats good to know.. But as far as I am concerned I cannot spend more than 1000Rs. If they provide Monthly instalment facility like 500 Rs., it is worth trying...

I wonder what would be the cost for existing customer and also TS is chargin Rs. 50 pm for to avail this feature after buying the TS+ STB too........If the cost is less than Rs. 2000 for existing customer then i will be interested in it...........any way i ameagerly awaiting for its arrival in the market:D

i am laughing at, how did they arrive at figure that 50% will spend 9000Rs on STB?

50% is being absurdly hopeful. But still, it's a good move that DVRs are getting into the picture now. Hopefully, Airtel and BigTV will up the game with HD, and perhaps Airtel can bring in IPTV as well :happy::whistle:

i am laughing at, how did they arrive at figure that 50% will spend 9000Rs on STB?
If they aim for 50% atleast they will get 5% people going for that STB.........:hysterical:. Anyway lets wait and watch the game.....:thumbsup:

well 50% may switch over to big tv or airtel dth as thier services are better.. investing more money on Tata Sky now will be a blunder ...:whistle:

If they offer good discount for existing customers it wud be good, it wud be worth a try.

Back