Tata Sky HD DTH: Got HD!!

• Thread starter Thread starter manig
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 5,618
@adityatandon: I don't know if there is any difference with the previous HD boxes.
@kumararvind: Thanks for the great info. :urock:
@chits009: Yes, they said the same thing to me as well. I told them then why don't you remove this page from your site: Tata sky HD offer :@

What I liked on TataSkyHD:
1. NatGeo and DiscoveryHD. Its worth spending Rs. 2600/- for the HD box and paying Rs. 30/- per month if you have an HD television.

2. The blue '0700CE??' banner that appears on the screen every few minutes is half the size on what we see on SD box. Plus we can access the info button and instant channel guide (that appears when we press any directional button). This was not possible on SD boxes when the blue banner was being displayed on screen.

3. NatGeo has no Chinese subtitles.

What I hated on TataSkyHD:
1. StarPlusHD: As kumararvind said, its an upscaled SD channel. The quality of StarPlusHD looks about 30% better than normal StarPlus... but the worst thing is its Volume is 50% lower than all other channels. So it makes no sense to watch this channel. You will have to reduce the voulme everytime you shift to any other channel, and increase if you want to watch StarPlusHD again. This is simply ridiculous and irritating.

2. About 1inch thick 'blurry line' is visible sometimes that runs full length on top across the screen. I was watching Blade II on WB last night and this line was really annoying. It was not going away.

3. There is also a 1inch thick line of snow (like no RF signals) that pops up on top of the screen on all the channels. But this happens for a fraction of a second only and not occasionally.

4. A minor sound glitch is heard sometimes. Like a digital noise.

What I would like on TataSkyHD:
1. Movies Now HD and more HD channels.

2. They should provide upscaled version of FTV instead of StarPlus. Because no one cares if the volume of FTV is low. :P Or atleast make the volume of StarPlusHD equal to other channels.

3. What is the function of 2 USB ports at the back?

That's all for now.

:happy:

2. About 1inch thick 'blurry line' is visible sometimes that runs full length on top across the screen. I was watching Blade II on WB last night and this line was really annoying. It was not going away.

3. There is also a 1inch thick line of snow (like no RF signals) that pops up on top of the screen on all the channels. But this happens for a fraction of a second only and not occasionally.

This happens while you watch SD channels on the HD box.
You have to set your TV to overscan (if the feature is available) to avoid this.....otherwise you will have to live with it.
And yes remember to put it off for HD content to view the full real estate of your screen :)

@kumararvind.The HD stb automatically stretches the 4:3 sd video to 16:9 video. i too got my 2 HD stb few days back.@manigI too had that digital noise glitch, like some bee humming for a few seconds, really annoying. And the problem with HD channels is that they less volume compared to other sd channels as u earlier pointed out. I think that might be due to that the channels are encoded in 5.1 ch audio whereas our lcd tv are 2 ch only. Quite irritating increasing and decreasing the volume when u switch over HD to Sd channels and vice versa.

@kumararvind.
The HD stb automatically stretches the 4:3 sd video to 16:9 video. i too got my 2 HD stb few days back.
@manig
I too had that digital noise glitch, like some bee humming for a few seconds, really annoying. And the problem with HD channels is that they less volume compared to other sd channels as u earlier pointed out. I think that might be due to that the channels are encoded in 5.1 ch audio whereas our lcd tv are 2 ch only. Quite irritating increasing and decreasing the volume when u switch over HD to Sd channels and vice versa.

Of course But I was talking about Overscan....its a feature of the TV to enlarge the picture....5% to 15 % ...5% does the trick.....it removes most of the noise on the borders.
Also regarding the audio....you need to connect the stb to an AV receiver or HTIB for optimum sound.....if you take the sound out from the digital out to the HTIB/AV Receiver there is no volume differences.....and as rohaan rightly pointed it is the downmix which reduces the volume....the 5.1DD in starplus HD in fact pushes the volume up and gives too much boom to the audio than desired....the NGC adio is also screwed up....Only Discovery HD world has the right audio mix in TS HD

guys i am also facing the audio problem(buzzing sound) what to do to remove it. plz help me i am facing this for the last 3 months ever since i got my hd connection and its more frequent in WB channel

Forget about SkyUK. Go and see DirecTV's website. The last time I saw it had 160+HD channels (many in Full HD 1080p) and a few 3D FullHD 1080p channels too (Like ESPN 3D).

India just has 4-5 HD channels that too are not up to the mark.. Just 1080i resolution :/
What's the use of HDTV's then? :madness:

unfortunately due to conditions like this i have over time got used to d/l 720p HDTV episodes of my fav shows. I havent watched anything on tv (cable/dth etc) for more than two years now.

So if I buy a 5.1ch Speaker system and attach it to my TV's Digital Out, will it solve the low volume issue?

So if I buy a 5.1ch Speaker system and attach it to my TV's Digital Out, will it solve the low volume issue?

Yes....anything which takes in Digital coaxial in (as TS HD does not have optical out)...and delivers a DD 5.1 thru 5.1 speakers :)

Guys,i got the box y'day... still no one has come or didnt even bother to call me for installation... but i found that the manfg. date on the box is 08/10 and the seal appears to hav been removed and then pasted back (not sure on this though)... chk your manfg. date also and post it here guys... i want to make sure that i didnt get the box from the old stock... Thanks :)

What difference does it make if its old stock or new, its the same box, they have not changed anything.

Back