Tata sky to launch Netflix like movie renting service in India

• Thread starter Thread starter devx101
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 80
  • Views Views 17,790
Received a call from TS couple of days back. They said they were starting a Video-On-Demand Service and would like some customers to get involved in the free trial. Said that their engineer would come and install the LAN cable from the modem to my STB. Serials and movies would be downloaded from TS servers using the Ethernet port in the Set Top Box. However, user needs to use their broadband connection for this service to work. The minimum speed they said has to be 256 kbps for this service to work. Currently only serials are available and later movies would be added to the list. Wonder why would anyone want to use their bandwidth to download serials on TS STB and be FUP'd by their ISP later. I could use my TS HD+ STB to record any programs and watch them later if the need arises.The quality as informed by the TS executive would be DVD quality. I'd rather download high quality Blu Ray prints from torrents for movies if I want to watch a movie on my HDTV. Don't think this will be successful in India seeing the high cost of broadband and lack of penetration in the Indian market.

agreed.....no sense at all in using the present broadband.....Btw,Did you allow them to conduct the trial:p

how about using the satellite transponders to provide internet, the movie/serials then can be downloaded and saved to HD of a user and the ethernet can be used only for the return channel..that way a users internet FUP will also not get exhausted..ofcourse with the latency its not suited for stuff like VoIP but certainly yes for things like VoD

Netflix has a big problem surfacing slowly in USA.All mobile broad band providers have almost stopped unlimited download data.OK subscribers watch netflix thro wired ADSL broad band. Even the wired ADSL/fiber are also re thinking their band width being over used by one segment of users (with un limited plans) there by causing hardship to others.If wired adsl BB providers start metering the data,Netflix is dead!when it comes to Tata Sky-I dont understand how the consumer has to pay broadband internet charges? Tata sky right now mainly downbeaming(one way) thro their satelite bandwidth pipe .In movie renting,customer may have to interact with their system two way. That's all. no internet charges involved. In USA long back I have used satelitte cable tv+internet.very fast.Satellite Tv is a mass product -micro village to metro where as internet is only 5% -10% in size compared to TV market may be! Very recently I was using Hong Kong Telecom fiber broadband with wireless router (all equipment free but 2 year contract) with IPTV free 4 channels thrown in ( since I dont want cantonese and mandarin programmes ,I was just happy with free HBO,Star Movies,CNBC and CNN)very good reception.

Morons called me a week back saying they would send someone for demo and setup. No one has turned up yet

so 1st we pay them for the vod service and on top of that we pay the isp 200-300rs/gb for watching that video..!!! yeah right!

^ VOD is free to begin with. I was told they would have programs of the last 5 days. They also provide a 'free' ethernet cable for initial setup :p Ideally I should have got a visit by now considering I have an unlimited connection, let me call them up tomorrow and see what's happening

Wow the post is linked to ibf. :D
According to forum postings by some users and a recent tweet by Abhimanyu Radhakrishnan of the Times Group

yeah. i have been in touch with the medianama guys on twitter and google plus. i guess they get updates from the forum through twitter as well.

Back