TATA Teleservices launches Ethernet Leased Lines in 10 Cities

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 6,325
Status
Not open for further replies.
its for the Business segment .. i think. ....no use for us ... besides i assure you that it will be EXTREMELY costly ...I know tata indicom :P

my company is paying 3lacs per annum for 512kbps leased line. bandwidth is assured and good ping times too. but its damn costly

3 lakhs per annum comes to around 25000 per month. for a business account, i believe this is pretty expensive. but i assume it is unlimited. most business accounts i have seen which are cheaper are not unlimited.

Why would the business pay 25,000 for 512kbps, regular business plans at higher speeds are far cheaper....how exactly would the leased line be beneficial?

well leased lines have a definite SLA. :D i believe that is not present in regular business plans.

To be honest, leased lines are a rip, and for the most part, SLAs are a farce. Those that I've tried (in Mumbai, at least) weren't all that reliable. If we can increase our uptime to four-9's (five-9's would be better, but possibly pushing it at this stage), we'd probably be as stable if not more so than you're average SLA. I think that combined with the speed could bring a lot of business customers costs down.Ripunjay at Honesty was telling me once about a leased line they put in, but the cablewala kept randomly unplugging the cable because he wanted more money or something along those lines.And if you consider that MTNL charges 10k/month/mbit (minimum 4mbit/s) for a dedicated international line (plus local circuit charges, say, 8mbit/s dedicated local circuit 15km in length @ 9725 per month - the minimum is 5km which is a bit cheaper, but I'm trying to be a bit realistic), 25k per month is a rip off for 512k: they could double their spend (49725 per month) and get 8x as much bandwidth.On another note, I can't get to any of Tata's websites at the moment, and I'm seeing delays trying to get to Indian sites (MTNL etc) from here.

Yeah, but I doubt there would be much difference in service/up-time...+ would you take an ISP to court if the Internets down??

from what i remember (the network admin had told us)... a company i used to work with back in 1999-2000... they were paying just around 18 lakhs per annum for 2 mbps. i could be wrong though. but it was pretty awesome to get 180KBps after closing hours back in 2000.

Yeah, but I doubt there would be much difference in service/up-time...

+ would you take an ISP to court if the Internets down??

With an SLA, technically, you could. And why wouldn't you? You might be losing lakhs of business an hour.

from what i remember (the network admin had told us)... a company i used to work with back in 1999-2000... they were paying just around 18 lakhs per annum for 2 mbps. i could be wrong though. but it was pretty awesome to get 180KBps after closing hours back in 2000.

Now for that price you can get... actually the speeds/prices haven't improved that dramatically. Double that amount (so 40 lakhs or so) and you could get 34mbit/s. The next smallest is only 8mbit/s which would only be 6 lakhs or so. Plus local circuitry.

Leased lines are a huge cash cow. That's one reason we were asked not to provide symmetric bandwidth on our home plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back