Tatasky lost case against dishtv in High court on STB free offer

• Thread starter Thread starter Jonny
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 3,933

Jonny

ISP
AIRTEL
Faced by continuous decline of sales because of immense popularity of Dish TV “Set Top Box Free” Scheme, Tata Sky approached the Delhi High Court by way of a Writ under Article 226. The petition was heard by the Court today, June 4 ‘08. At the hearing, Tata Sky attempted to show that Dish TV’s advertisement campaign is misleading and Dish TV is not offering the Set Top Boxes free and prayed to the High Court to award an injunction against Dish TV, however the court was not impressed. The counsel of Dish TV explained that Dish TV is currently running three schemes out of which, Set Top box is free under 3990 Scheme and the same has been very clearly brought out in the advertisements as well.

Another important factor which was brought before the High Court by the Counsel of Dish TV was that there were two petition filed in the MONOPOLIES AND RESTRICTIVE TRADE PRACTICES COMMISSION, NEW DELHI (MRTPC) which was absolutely same and the same prayer was made in both the petitions. The first petition was filed by a consumer organization which was represented by the same counsel who was representing TATA Sky. In this matter, MRTPC did not grant any relief to Tata Sky. Thereafter TATA Sky made a second attempt, by filing the same petition in which again MRTPC refused to grant any relief to Tata Sky. TATA Sky had filed this complaint on May 29 ‘08 before the MRTPC against Dish TV stating that Dish TV’s advertisement of “Free Set Top Box” is misleading and had prayed for an injunction against the advertisement campaign of Dish TV. In their complaint to MRTPC, Tata Sky has also admitted that because of this campaign, the sales of Dish TV had gone upto double of Tata Sky sales. On May 30 ‘08, the MRTPC refused to grant any relief to TATA Sky and issued notice to Dish TV for further hearing on July 11 ‘08. In fact, TATA Sky was behind both the petitions.

The High Court today, on hearing the parties, decided that at present there was no relief required to be granted to Tata Sky, and the said petition has been dismissed as withdrawn.

That was bound to happen.TS is just wasting money on court cases.

May be TS like to fightThey are Born To FightFirst Against Sun Tv now against Dish TVI Thought if they won this,there next fight will be against Sun DTH because there offer is same to Dish Tv

That was bound to happen.TS is just wasting money on court cases.

Dont worry, Tata Sky collect this money from their customer by increasing the subscription charges and moving the channels to Add on packs. :wall:

umm the prices were dropped to rs. 260. sports pack is for rs. 40 i think.

Anyway since they lost the case they wont wanna lose customers.Maybe old customers(who TS already made Bakras will have to face a price hike)but new connections will have to be charged at market rates coz else they wont increase their customer baseand If DishTV is offering free STBthen TS and Reliance BigTV will have to follow suit andsoon even the cable wala will not be able to demand STB price, coz I'll tell him I can get a sat TV conn for free:hysterical::cool2:

umm the prices were dropped to rs. 260. sports pack is for rs. 40 i think.

Previously i pay Rs. 350/- for all the channels including Sports channel, BBC.

Now i have to pay Rs.310+15+40+30 = Rs. 395/- for watching these channels. :wall:

dish tv is not entirely free... you have to pay for installation and registration. would still cost around 1000 bucks.the best deal at the moment is to take their new connection with 1 full year subscription. comes to around rs. 4000. 300*12=3600+1000=4600...ah so its expensive for south indian guys? :O

oh man 400RS a month !! How many hours you watch TV a day !! max i watch is 2-3 hrs.. so max 80 hrs.. 3 -4 days (80/24hrs) ! 400/4 => 100 RS a day :P

in my house hardly 1hr a day and i watch F1, say 6hrs in a month, so total 36hrs a month = 1.5 days! and i pay 360Rs a month!!!

Back