TDSAT direct to Sony-discovery to give channels to Sun direct.

• Thread starter Thread starter Broun73
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 5,185
Subscription is not at all a matter now. We can subscribe through phone or internet. But when we get these channels. Thats the question now.

As from the news posted , it will be from tomorrow ( 12 April )

yes raja subscripition is not a problem. the main problem is when we will receive all channels we are waiting for a long time

As from the news posted , it will be from tomorrow ( 12 April )

i think from tomorow they will get the rights. It is not clear that they will telecast from tomorow. It depends on sun direct decision.

i think from tomorow they will get the rights. It is not clear that they will telecast from tomorow. It depends on sun direct decision.

Rightly said..Sony will provide their signals to sun direct 2morrow..I think they will provide the signal to us before 18th of this month..

Dont worry guys,

I have sent mail to nodal officer regarding sony packages..I will report it here after i received mail from them..

But it shows a poor strategy from SUN end. From the news article we understand that SUN was looking for SET MAX alone and that too for just 3 months. Which means once the IPL matches are over they would withdraw the channel. I don't think that would really benefit the subscribers except that we can watch IPL Matches now.But if SUN was planning to make a short term deal and then wait for all the broadcasters to reduce their pricing as per the TRAI order and then sign a deal with Sony Group of Channels then its ok.

You are right Ajith- But I do think they have a good game plan- One is thing is for sure- It wont remain this cheap with all these Sports and Entertainment channels- So the problem is what type of Audience they are targeting- In kerala most connections are in interior region- They cant get people disconnect their existing cable connection and take sun direct- Are they ready to pay more than cable for DTH? They will test this by giving Sony Package free -there by increasing the target audience and getting a firm foothold and then launching STAR and Zee packages as different bouquets.Thus they will be able to gauge the customer response- Plz note that all these are my assumptions- Hope this is not out of context

But it shows a poor strategy from SUN end. From the news article we understand that SUN was looking for SET MAX alone and that too for just 3 months. Which means once the IPL matches are over they would withdraw the channel. I don't think that would really benefit the subscribers except that we can watch IPL Matches now.

But if SUN was planning to make a short term deal and then wait for all the broadcasters to reduce their pricing as per the TRAI order and then sign a deal with Sony Group of Channels then its ok.

Read this my dear friend..

Sun Direct to get One Alliance bouquet, not just Max: Tdsat

NEW DELHI: The Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (Tdsat) has asked Set Discovery (now called MSM Discovery) to give its channels to Sun Direct but with the condition that the direct-to-home (DTH) [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]service [COLOR=blue! important]provider[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] take the entire bouquet.

Sun Direct had asked only for Max, the channel that will show the IPL matches, on an a la carte basis. But Tdsat has told Sun Direct to take all the 15 channels in the One Alliance (Set Discovery operates under this brand) bouquet and work out a deal with the distribution company before the next hearing.

The tribunal has said that the bouquet would be given at the rate of Rs 67 per subscriber per month and signals shall have to be activated by 14 April. Max, which forms part of the One Alliance bouquet, will start telecasting the IPL matches from 18 April.
Sun Direct had been asking only for Max in the One Alliance bouquet, citing Trai's a la carte regulation, for a period of three months. But this was not acceptable to Set Discovery, forcing the DTH player to file a petition with the sector tribunal on 10 April, asking for the Max signal.
The petition came up for hearing today, during which the DTH player spoke of the a la carte provision. But counsel for Set Discovery said that what Sun Direct had been demanding did not make business sense.
They said they were willing to offer their channels to Sun Direct on the same terms as they have done with other DTH players, which is a five-year contract, but Sun Direct wanted a single channel only for the three months so that the IPL matches could be shown to their customers.
They informed the court that during earlier discussions, Sun Direct had been negotiating for all 15 channels, but now it is demanding just Max.
Tdsat, on hearing the arguments, ruled in the interim that the issue of a la carte would be decided when the main arguments are heard. But till then, it ordered One Alliance to give its channels to Sun Direct. But Sun Direct had to take all the 15 channels and couldn't choose just one.
Tdsat asked the two parties to come to a negotiated settlement on the terms and conditions. Both parties have agreed to abide by the interim order.
The next date for hearing is 8 May.

source

http://www.indiantelevision.com/headlines/y2k8/apr/apr131.php

Back