Third party Mesh WiFi system with Jio Fiber box (modem+router)

• Thread starter Thread starter LeoManx
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 9,568
ISP
Jio Fiber
I have a 300Mbps Jio Fiber connection with a JC04032 modem-router. Considering the not-so-good range and wireless speed of the router I have decided to go for a Mesh WiFi system (either TP-Link Deco X20 or Netgear Nighthawk MK63). Are these mesh wifi systems compatible with Jio Fiber? If yes, how to configure it, so that there is no NAT conflict?

I am using Dlink Covr 1100 mesh system. Seems to be working ok with Jio fiber.

I have configured my Asus Router mesh system this way:

Jio gateway has IP 192.168.29.1
Asus router is in router mode with IP 192.168.1.1

Asus router has IPv6 firewall disabled and IPv6 set to passthrough mode.

You will be triple-NATed on IPv4 but your devices will receive public IPv6. You have to add that public IPv6 into Jio gateway's IPv6 firewall exceptions list to get access to your LAN devices from outside.

But your router will be in FULL router mode and not be a dumb access point. So mesh can be set up as long as it is not just an access point.

Both Asus and Jio gateway are accessible from browser page by typing their respective IP addresses. Double port forwarding also works on IPv4 to access CCTV cameras on IPv4. Everything just works.

Positives: Jio doesn't see any of your LAN devices. Triple NAT issue will not make existing double NAT issue any worse. I can connect to Xbox live and play Forza Horizon 5 online.

PS: Notice I don't talk about Bridge mode anywhere because it's not possible on Jio and never will. Or switch to Tata Play or Airtel who allow bridge mode. But with CG-NAT, I don't see much of an advantage with that as well.

@LeoManx, its a very simple setup, Jio router is running as it is with 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz wifi disabled.

I have three Covr devices using ethernet backhaul (they are connected to the Jio router using ethernet cable). Each Covr device is on a static IP with the Jio router as gateway connected on its LAN port (COVR has two ports Internet and Ethernet). There is nothing connected to the internet port on the COVR and its WAN configuration is left to DHCP mode.

Of course the DHCP is disabled on the COVR with the Jio Router giving out the IP addresses and the same SSID with password is repeated across all COVR devices.

Setting up of COVR is a little troublesome and the band cannot be selected or changed but it does have gigabit LAN ports providing for a decent experience.

PS: COVR operates on two modes Router mode / Bridge mode, i am running the router mode with a little bit of improvisation as i am basically using it as an access point.

I have configured my Asus Router mesh system this way:

Jio gateway has IP 192.168.29.1
Asus router is in router mode with IP 192.168.1.1

Asus router has IPv6 firewall disabled and IPv6 set to passthrough mode.

You will be triple-NATed on IPv4 but your devices will receive public IPv6. You have to add that public IPv6 into Jio gateway's IPv6 firewall exceptions list to get access to your LAN devices from outside.

But your router will be in FULL router mode and not be a dumb access point. So mesh can be set up as long as it is not just an access point.

Both Asus and Jio gateway are accessible from browser page by typing their respective IP addresses. Double port forwarding also works on IPv4 to access CCTV cameras on IPv4. Everything just works.

Positives: Jio doesn't see any of your LAN devices. Triple NAT issue will not make existing double NAT issue any worse. I can connect to Xbox live and play Forza Horizon 5 online.

PS: Notice I don't talk about Bridge mode anywhere because it's not possible on Jio and never will. Or switch to Tata Play or Airtel who allow bridge mode. But with CG-NAT, I don't see much of an advantage with that as well.
Hey! thanks for the response. I'm not an expert in networking and there are little too much tech jargons for me in your response. But my take away is you are using both Jio and Asus devices as routers and even after having NAT issue things are working perfectly fine for you. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

@cyberwiz So basically you are using all the COVRs as extenders or AP with Jio router as the gateway.
Correct I am not using the mesh, rather when I enable the mesh then the switchover across different CoVR extenders is slower and not seamless (which is strange) even with the bridge mode enabled in the COVR devices. In the AP mode the switchover is faster and no NAT issues as well.

Curious as to which WiFi standards are the Jio Fiber Routers using / can we check some way?

Are they Wifi AC or AX / i.e WiFi 6 / 6E?

Back