This is how to fix VoWiFi Calling and JioJoin with custom DNS on Reliance Jio

• Thread starter Thread starter yashrastogi
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 36
  • Views Views 9,115
Hi everyone,

I noticed lot of people are facing issues with VoWiFi and not being able to use JioCall with custom DNS.

Both of these issues are resolved with a properly configured custom DNS server.

Here are the steps involved:

1. Sign up for an account on NextDNS
2.1 Create a profile and go to Settings > DNS Rewrites
2.2 Add a rewrite like below, replace 192.168.1.1 with your JioRouter local IP.

Screenshot-from-2021-07-28-08-27-55.png

3.1 Go to your router settings page, in my case 192.168.1.1
3.2 Configure your DNS settings according to details shown in your NextDNS DNS Profile
3.3 Set IPv4 DNS like below but use IPs shown in NextDNS DNS Profile
3.4 Set IPv6 DNS in a similar way in LAN IPv6 Configuration
3.5 Reboot your router
3.6 Set your DNS settings again
4. Done! Confirm if DNS settings were successfully applied and test JioJoin / VoWiFi. DNS can be confirmed in NextDNS page itself!

Screenshot-from-2021-07-28-08-30-07.png

Last edited by a moderator:
That is why you have to set it once in LAN v6, v4 and reboot and set DNS again.

For domain name enter any text
Unfortunately even after rebooting, and reapplying NextDNS, I can't get ONT to use NextDNS. And after restart the Linked IP does not change for me. I have to manually refresh the page, and it stays the same regardless. Cant figure out where I am going wrong.

Unfortunately even after rebooting, and reapplying NextDNS, I can't get ONT to use NextDNS. And after restart the Linked IP does not change for me. I have to manually refresh the page, and it stays the same regardless. Cant figure out where I am going wrong.
Linked IP is not supposed to change automatically you have to hit the refresh button in the box

@yashrastogi that's the problem. The refresh button does not appear for me. Just a green tick next to my public IPV4 appears even after the reboot.

Does this setting work for everyone. It worked for few minutes for me, than JioJoin app became offline.
I think we will have to rewrite ipv6 address for jiofiber.local.html too..
But NextDNS doesn't allow to mention 2 different rules for the same domain.

@ritwik2000 i want to use NextDNS on my router. i configured all the dns settings as shown in the above picture but in nextdns website it is showing i am using jio dns not next dns. i opened a website to check if the ads are blocked but ads are still showing. How can i fix this ? how can i use nextdns on my jio router so that every device which is connected to the router has protection from ads. For now, i am using dns over https and tls on my pc and android, but this option is not available on older phones and jio set top box. That is why i want to use nextdns on my router. Please tell me if there is any solution for this issue.

Back