Thread:How can we improve the phone wiring for ADSL(in our control) and reduce no of joints/contacts

• Thread starter Thread starter sunnyboy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 0
  • Views Views 1,263

sunnyboy

ISP
MTNL
HiWe all know that Internet quality and no. of joints in phone wore bear an inverse proportion ratio..I am starting a thread so we can come together, share ideas and experience about making our internet wiring specifically between our ADSL router and the point where wire supplied by our telephone company MTNL/BSNL/Other ends (in our house or maybe just outside) as best as possible.Specifically how can we reduce no. of joints between 2 wires as much as possible and improve wiring material (type of wire), and ways we can make the hand twisted wires (followed by line-men) as maximum in contact to avoid data packet loss. (Handtwisting is never followed in the West and is considered worst method). I found some instruments on websites used to make contacts but they are not found in INdia yet. I have gone thru many websites to apply Western system to our and just copy it but there are amy differences. 1. FIrstly, their main line is of 4 wires(ours is 2 only), Using cat5 in theor home is worth the money as 4 out of 8 wires get used.(we have to sacrifice other 6 out of 8)2. They have a secial box called NID where main line ends. (we have mostly bare wires or may be a junctional modular box) 3. They use special devices to make wire contacts. (we just hand twist wires)I have read many user experiences saying that after minimizing wiring joints and strengthening the contacts, their snr margin improved, attenuaton fell and speed improved. Even use of proper modular connectio adapters to extend wires reduces performance significantly. As righltly said "single no breaks in wire is best" but that is not practially possible. I have been experimenting with quality of connection by trying to reduce wire joints and using as continuous line as possible. To make the discussion easier for everyone reading this, i would like to prepare a format of wiring for a typical indian ADSL wiring so we can discuss on that blueprint. Lets start by naming each contact as Juntion 1,2.... 1. Junction 1 - I think the first joint we are aware of is an MTNL/BSNL metal cupboard like thing anear a road and near our home. I think this cupboard has proper slots to make joints. We cant modify that2. Junction 2 - I followed a black pipe from there and saw it entering my building. I think we all have same thing. the pipe ends in the staircase somewhere near our home. And there is a confusing scene of lot of wires hand Tiwsted there.3. Junction 3 - Frm there a copper wire pair starts and enters our homes and ends in DP box (Modular Junction BOx).4. Junction 4 - If we dont have a DP box there, they have handtwisted another extention wire until the DP box. The matel ring where main wires are screwed is not copper (rather steel or aluminium) and there is significant loss of uniform medium. (Critical for ADSL?)5. Junction 5 - Contact @ modular connection between RJ 11 slot and RJ 11 jact at exit of First DP box.6. Junction 6. COntact @ modular connection - between entry of Main phone wire and ADSL filter input RJ 11 slot.7. Junction 7 - COntact @ modular connection (RJ11) between ADSL filter Output for ROuter and phone wire RJ 11 jack8. Junctin 8 - Contact @ modular connection (Rj11)between ADSL phone wire and ADSL Router RJ 11 slotI feel these conenctions do take a toll. Let us discuss any ways we can modify and improve thngs under out control.Let me start by what i did..I cut the length of regular phone between first DP box to as short as possible (just 3 inches and got it crimped with RJ11 at both ends by hardware shopwala. my snr margin has improved by by 5)some user long back said cat5 in place of regular phone wire improved but i dod not follow how he managed to reduce contacts?Let post our ideas and suggestion and experiences below:thanks

Back