Throttling of International and local Bandwidth

• Thread starter Thread starter iamaap
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 2,830
ISP
Airtel FTTH
Hi Guys,

On 9 September 2022, I got the Airtel's 200 Mbps plan for myself. On doing speed test to the various servers across the world, I realized I am being throttled like anything. Please help / suggestions for fighting with Airtel. below are the pics to various tests

Call 121 and complain. They can sort it out. The standard method of testing is to use Airtel's server in the same city or one nearest to your location.

Also remember you cant expect the same speed to all servers across the world. You are being unrealistic. Speeds will vary depending on various factors.

Last edited:
While I acknowledge that I can't expect full speeds on every server, 8 Mbp locked onto a 200 Mbps plan doesn't seem reasonable. I'd rather have
something in the range of 70-80 Mbps. @Lolita_Magnum any help. I am from Mumbai. if Mumbai guys can share some results it can be helpful.

they throttle a lot and wont aggree that they throttle , i did lot of complaints whole month they say no issue from backend . Single thread download throttle around 600kbps - 1 mbps as soon as i turnon protonvpn japan / euro / singa speed goes full 100 mbps .

I find it hard to tell whether that's throttling or bad routing. This seems to be a problem with long distance servers on almost all isps in India.

These are mostly routing problems rather than throttling. ISPs have multiple routes that they use and switch routes too. I find subscribers in the North facing the max problems while people in peninsular parts of the country ..west and south don't. But a guy facing issues at Mumbai ...ie one of the Intl. gateways is unusual to say the least.

@iamaap if you have specific files or IPs you face issues with try with another ISP and check speeds or have Airtel resolve it. Mind you Airtel is not very responsive and they take their own time. Frustrating but that's the way they are nowadays.

PS - Only Airtel can resolve this issue.

When I was with Airtel, I was usually averaging ~170Mbps on a 200Mbps connection internationally.
It is also possible that the gateway set for your location is highly saturated, hence the poor speeds even for domestic servers.
As Chip said, only Airtel can resolve such issues.

These are mostly routing problems rather than throttling. ISPs have multiple routes that they use and switch routes too. I find subscribers in the North facing the max problems while people in peninsular parts of the country ..west and south don't. But a guy facing issues at Mumbai ...ie one of the Intl. gateways is unusual to say the least.

@iamaap if you have specific files or IPs you face issues with try with another ISP and check speeds or have Airtel resolve it. Mind you Airtel is not very responsive and they take their own time. Frustrating but that's the way they are nowadays.

PS - Only Airtel can resolve this issue.
My ISP had leased their bandwidth from Airtel. Coincidence is even my ISP used to throttle US server bandwidth to 7-8Mbps like how Airtel currently is throttling. I have lost it. Waited for 12 years for this connection as I live in non fiber area and once their services commenced, saw these speeds. hopeless. @Lolita_Magnum can you please suggest which gateway to suggest to these guys to get maximum speed on Int'l servers

Back