Times of India on Fair Usage Policy

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 134
  • Views Views 23,042
Great work Sushubh and Matt. Now let's all spread the word. Facebook, Twitter, Orkut whatever.

so you are siding with the devil.Private cos need to be spanked by trai.i have been using bsnl for 4 months and i am getting 512k ul and breakdowns are rare.
mtnl\bsnl have improved a lot and your evil agenda will fail

DIE FUP!:@

I hope you're not talking about me.

If you are, I'd hardly say I'm siding with the devil. I understand the FUP - it is a necessary evil in some cases - but I don't really agree with it. Fair Usage Policies would be OK if they were actually fair to the consumer.

And evil agenda? Dude, what the hell are you talking about? Can I have some of what you're smoking?

Just read it in the newspaper, good article...finally mainstream media has paid some attention to a crucial feature about broadband ie data usage..I tend to agree with Amish in part..the article brands MTNL as unreliable..though i have had a good experience and i know quite a few people who are satisfied with their MTNL connections..i would not call it bias..rather a factual inaccuracy

Just read it in the newspaper, good article...finally mainstream media has paid some attention to a crucial feature about broadband ie data usage..

I tend to agree with Amish in part..the article brands MTNL as unreliable..though i have had a good experience and i know quite a few people who are satisfied with their MTNL connections..i would not call it bias..rather a factual inaccuracy

Which further proves my point: your mileage may vary.

Mileage vary for all ISPs...but branding MTNL, which probably is most reliable as unreliable...will create confusion.. ppl will end up going for other ISPs and suffer further.I am not taking side of MTNL, i myself have tried 2-3 ISPs and after trying I have come to this conclusion... and its not just me... i have recommended MTNL to 10-15 ppl and they all are extremely happy.

Mileage vary for all ISPs...but branding MTNL, which probably is most reliable as unreliable...will create confusion.. ppl will end up going for other ISPs and suffer further.

I am not taking side of MTNL, i myself have tried 2-3 ISPs and after trying I have come to this conclusion... and its not just me... i have recommended MTNL to 10-15 ppl and they all are extremely happy.

I don't think that's how they brand it. The article says that the reliability is enough of an issue to negate the positive aspect of the service, that is, no FUP.

It's that whole thing about "it's great until it stops working" :D

Just read it in the newspaper, good article...finally mainstream media has paid some attention to a crucial feature about broadband ie data usage..

I tend to agree with Amish in part..the article brands MTNL as unreliable..though i have had a good experience and i know quite a few people who are satisfied with their MTNL connections..i would not call it bias..rather a factual inaccuracy

This article could be the result after the ISP connecting TOI's office leased line internet with FUP. Only then they show light on these issues. :notallowed:

@MgCarley: I agree your point... in that case for a 2mbps u/l it must be aroung 250-350 GB limit.

I have four friends who have MTNL connections.All four in different areas of the city.One of them is okay with once a week downtime.But others suffer disconnections for days on end.Literally.I dont have any agenda against MTNL so I dont have a reason to lie either.Customer support is mostly unreachable and when they are they are usually no help.I had the conenction four years ago and was disconnected for two weeks without help despite contacting CC multiple times.Gave up and shifted to Airtel.They may be cheats and I despise them for many reasons.But service quality is at a whole different level compared to MTNL.It IS the case of MTNL working well in some areas and pretty poor in most of the others.Atleast three other friends of mine have shifted from MTNL in the past two years.Reliable?Hardly.

Good article. I'm glad to see that finally the press has highlighted the issue. I see Airtel is mentioned only once. Airtel sucks should be mentioned 100 times. They are the ones who have introduced this FUP shit in India. Other players followed Airtel. I'm OK with any FUP - but the FUP limit has to be FAIR - it's totally unfair in Airtel's case.

Couple of month's ago, I had written a big fat email to Airtel's corporate office. I got a call from their Pune office. Some lady explained me why they have introduced this FUP shit and what it means to the consumer. I heard everything she had to say and in the end I just asked her one final question: Why is Airtel's FUP unfair? I mean we are talking about 15GB and 25GB FUPs not 100GB or 200GB. She didn't have an answer to this question. So, the conclusion is they won't give a **** unless their profits start dropping substantially.

The bad news: I'm on a 20GB FUP plan. The good news: FUP is applicable only during day-time and not during night-time. I say many old Airtel broadband subscribers (like me) are still getting a much better deal than new Airtel broadband subscribers who are stuck with a 15GB-25GB FUP limit. That's all I have to say.

@Admin: Try emailing to various newspapers and see if anyone else is interested in publishing this kinda article.

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

Twitter / Chaitanya Purandare: FUP limits are totally unf ...

Back