TP-Link w8968 v3 giving no internet even when wifi is 5 bar strong and it says Internet access.

• Thread starter Thread starter fyodor0137
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 4,234
ISP
BSNL
I have a BSNL broadband connection with 6GB plan. Router is TP-Link w8968 v3.

i) Even when Wifi is strong and it shows Internet access, there is no internet and I have to reboot the router frequently (not always, but frequently), say 5-6 times a day.
ii) Sometimes, when I wakeup my system (HP-2910tx) from sleep, it doesn't reconnect itself, whereas my mom's Dell 1510 inspiron does (so maybe fault with my lappy's network driver, but since no update is there, can't help it). Sometimes network adapter reset troubleshooting works, sometimes it doesn't.
iii) I even tried to factory reset the router and also re-upgrade it with the 1st firmware upgrade, but no results.
iv) Very high attenuation values, maybe because the connection is from a far off place, but I don't know much about it. (See pic)
v) Its been a month only, and with so much of rebooting in a day and with kind of poor range, I may have to return/exchange it to Flipkart by 29th. Kindly advise.
-- dead tinypic image deleted --

Your values are OK. Not really bad. But poor range & poor connectivity? Maybe you have intermittant line noise? Check all your cable joints. Move to a different channel.

If all this fails, exchange it.

Last edited:
Your values are OK. Not really bad. But poor range & poor connectivity? Maybe you have intermittant line noise? Check all your cable joints. Move to a different channel.

How to move to a different channel?
Cable is intact, though poorly done - hanging in a loop, don't know if I can do much about it.

Actually, poor range is not a big issue, as I spend most of my net-time in a single room. Whereas, it getting disconnected (with dsl led ON, and internet led BLINKING) every hour or so, is pissing me off a lot.

@chromaniac sir, if you could guide with the above issue.

Update: I called the BSNL guy to check the connection, but he told that get the router replaced from Flipkart. After a few hours, the condition got a little more worse, as net kept disconnecting after every 15 minutes now (instead of an hour earlier). After much brain-heckling, I thought there maybe some IP conflict or sth, so I changed the IP and assigned the Google DNS, now it seems to be working well for last 40 minutes.

My question is - What kind of problem does it seem to you?
Do I really need to replace the router or it was just an IP/DNS issue and is solved now?
Kindly advise, as I had already applied for return at Flipkart an hour before, so shall I go forward with it or not and cancel the return procedure?

i never used bsnl dns servers (if they have any) when i was on bsnl (i still am on it...)

It's BSNL. Quality of service changes from one moment to another. As long as the network values in modem backend are ok, there is very little you can do about it... But still... Staying on non-BSNL DNS servers would be a good move in all cases.

Back