TP-LINK W8968 & Vodafone or MTNL 3G compatibility?

• Thread starter Thread starter powerontop
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 7,076

powerontop

Regular
ISP
MTNL
Hi,
I am planning to dump my current MTNL ADSL Wired Broadband & switch to Wifi+3G route. For that I have shortlisted the following:
1. TP-Link TD-W8968 300 Mbps Wireless N USB ADSL2+ Modem Router
2. TP-LINK TL-MR3420 3G/4G Wireless N Router
3. Huawei E355
I have with me Vodafone 3g Dongle Model K3770z which I plan to unlock and use it for MTNL Jadoo Sim.
I am damn confused as TP-Link does not show that W8968 is compatible with Vodafone K3770z. MR3420 is working with this Vodafone Dongle with some firmware downgrade etc. Huawei 355 has good reviews but my hardware guy says that he is receiving bad reviews from Distributors with returned pieces and not support and you will be in the middle after 1 yr. warranty expires whereas TP-Link has 3 yr. warranty with good reviews.
NOW, I want you guys to guide me which one should I go with based only on ur personal or near friends experience(pls no gut feel or heard stories). W8968 is good but Dongle support is not mentioned in TP-link's site for vodafone for India and if it does not work, my hardware guy will not take back the piece so I need to be 100% sure any of the above routers/modems/dongle-wife WORKS with ANY dongle.
Now please guide me based on ur experience.

I am using TL-MR3420 3G/4G router with Vodafone 3g Dongle Model K3770z and its working great. Router recognizes dongle without any hassle. I can definitely recommend this router

Hi I read on flipkart that inorder for mr3420 to work with vodafone k3770z its firmware needs to be downgraded. Did u have to do anything like that? I actually wud like to go with w8968 so that just in case i ever need adsl+ i dont have to go searching for another modem bt it does nt seem to be supporting 3770z or for that matter most other dongles at least from TP-Link unless smeone has a workg setup. Bt did u need firmware tweaking? It seems firmware around 26 sept 2012 only works and latest does nt.

I am on latest firmware and have no issues. also i'd recommend to go for separate adsl modem, would just cost 700-800(TP-Link TD-8817). i have been using this setup from quite some time and it has been rock solid for me.

ok cool. thanks for ur assistance. then I will go 4 this one only. I tried it on my hardware guy's piece(MR3420) but it was not working k3770 constantly showing red light on the dongle. i tried the dongle directly on my Windows PC(I primarily use ArchLinux otherwise) and Dongle worked fine so thought cud be the same issue Flipkart users of 3420 reported thus asked.

i believe K3770 and K3770z are two different models. i have the K3770z so not sure how the other one plays with this router.

Back