Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
You know for safety of the user.

Telecom Regulator Sticks to its Guns on GPS in All Handsets

TRAI proposed implementation of public safety answering point (PSAP) based integrated emergency communication and response system (IECRS) in the country, which will be accessed through a single emergency number 112.

The Authority had proposed that DoT may consider mandating a transition to global positioning systems (GPS) enabled handsets in a certain timeframe to obtain more accurate location information of the caller.

Reiterating its proposal on GPS, TRAI said most of the smartphones already have GPS, but this facility is not available in low-cost handsets.

... and GPS should be set to permanently ON?

Next Nokia 135 (after Nokia 130) would have GPS :P

This seems to be a good move but only issue i forsee......gps can traingulate the data but to monitor the location data needs to be pushed from handset to somewhere. Not keeping in mind the state of nationwide connectivity, i forsee this as a roadblock and secondly, think about the massive infrastruture needed to process this everlong data stream of locations from all handsets. Such a massive computation power (read servers, storage, bandwidth etc) would make it more difficult to impliment. I.e. both Apple and google do track your phone ....but just see accuracy of data. They are also not doing a drill down due to these factrs.

Back