Ubuntu losing its popularity?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sai
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 7,212
strange observation :)I am not promoting Ubuntu. I personally use Fedora for desktop and CentOS for servers. I just wrote what i have seen here around..

Um... I don't think so. None of my friends in CS/CSE/ET/ExTC use Ubuntu for anything, not even for writing codes. Unless you're a *nix developer, Ubuntu is just... boring. I've dual booted Ubuntu 11.04 with Windows 7 and I've not booted into it for like 2 months, though I do like Unity :smirk:

You are the first person I've seen saying that [No offence].

Well they mostly use Windows based software for their college work, some of them have tried Ubuntu but they're of the opinion that the hassle with the terminal and 'sudo apt get'ting is too time consuming. As far as I know they briefly used Linux during one of their semesters, but that was because they had 'Operating Systems' as a subject.

I myself deal with Fluid/Pipe simulation programs, which I find, are better optimized for Windows. That's just my opinion though :)

Edit: Forgot to mention this; All the Computers in our College's Cyber Lab run on Ubuntu. The Admin there says, it's to prevent students from watching YouTube videos, downloading *ahem* Adult Entertainment videos and other stuff .

So whether or not Ubuntu is popular with the students, it'll surely remain popular with the College Cyber Lab! :D

You are the first person I've seen saying that [No offence].

None taken. :)

Edit: Forgot to mention this; All the Computers in our College's Cyber Lab run on Ubuntu. The Admin there says, it's to prevent students from watching YouTube videos, downloading *ahem* Adult Entertainment videos and other stuff .

So whether or not Ubuntu is popular with the students, it'll surely remain popular with the College Cyber Lab! :D
Sooooo.....its not possible to watch youtube videos in Ubuntu!! |O.O|

So, You accepted, in your college also Ubuntu is popular ??

very much possible,
Go to Synaptic Package Manager & check totem player

very much possible,
Go to Synaptic Package Manager & check totem player

This thread will make Ubuntu more popular :)

Oh it is. It's just that the version they use doesn't come with flash and in order to install it you need to be root or have elevated privileges. So they've effectively ensured that students won't tamper with the machines. :|

what they need is a tablet version.
and some willing hardware partners to go.

Last thing we need is developers having to code same app for 25 different OS'.

Last thing we need is developers having to code same app for 25 different OS'.

Already there is headache of testing web app in different browsers firefox, chrome and IE x....z :(

Back