Use beetel 450TC1 adsl modem as only a wifi router

krazineurons

ISP
Dataone
Hi Friends,
I'm in a big need and so am resolving to ask the experts. I have a beetel 450TC1 (http://www.pcwintech.com/screenshots-be ... l-firmware) on which my airtel broadband is configured. Now i have shifted to beam cable, which provided me only with a lan cable thru which i am able to connect. What i want to do now is to use the wireless modem by airtel (beetel 450TC1) and use it's wifi capibilities to make my beam connection available via wifi. I don't know how to turn off ADSL on the modem and configure it the right way. Anyone has done it, any idea?
Thanks a lo in advance.
Anirudh

Disclaimer:
This is based on my experience with Beetel 450TC1 on AirTel Broadband settings. Your mileage may vary.

Background:
Beetel 450TC1, or another ADSL Modem + WiFi Router device has logically 2 kinds of interfaces:
#1. WAN (Internet)
#2. LAN

Physically there are 3 interfaces:
#1. ADSL (WAN)
#2. LAN (Ethernet/RJ45) switch (LAN)
#3. WiFi (LAN)
Interfaces 2 & 3 are internally connected, that's why you are able to connect to the internet either via wire (Ethernet/RJ45) or WiFi.

How this works is that the device acquires an Internet IP address on ADSL end of the connection. It also assigns IP addresses to your connected PC/Laptop etc. via DHCP.

Solution:
So if you want to use Beetel 450TC1, or another ADSL Modem + Wifi Router device as a WiFi router ONLY (that is, convert an incoming Ethernet connection to WiFi), here's how.

Connect to the router with WiFi & the incoming Ethernet connection to any LAN port. Then, its just a question of using the LAN Switch + WiFi as an extended switch to connect your PC/Laptop etc. to the incoming Ethernet connection.

I gave an IP address to the WiFi router (Interface Setup -> LAN -> Router Local IP), but maybe it can be made to work without it. Further research required along that angle if someone is so inclined.

Now the question is about static or DHCP IP's. Your options are:
#1. Don't use DHCP. Just assign static IP addresses to the PC/Laptop etc.
#2. Using DHCP to get IP addresses from your incoming Ethernet connection.

The first method is the simpler one. Figure out a free IP address from the pool in use on the incoming Ethernet connection along with the subnet mask & default gateway & use these settings on your PC/Laptop etc.

The second method involves additional steps. Go to Interface Setup -> LAN -> DHCP. Set it to 'Relay', specify the DHCP server & play around with the options till you get it right. I was unable to get it to work, so I stuck with the first method, since it's working for me.

Maybe some enterprising soul can work further on the second method. :-)

What problem are you facing?By default the router's WiFi & LAN ports act as a sort of extended switch so a machine on WiFi can communicate with a machine on the LAN successfully.Or do you require the router to perform some additional functionality in addition to a WiFi to LAN switch?

Basically I cannot get the wifi working.I switched to cable net from MTNL net and had the 450tc1 left with me. So I was wondering if instead of buying a new wifi router, I could use this to get wifi.I can get internet working on desktop thru a dialer with the rj45 connected thru the router, but I think in this case the router is just acting as a switch.But in case of wifi, all I get is obtaining IP address on my cell.Also on the status page of the router, it says that the WAN is not connected which confirms my belief that the internet working on desktop is just the router relaying the signal as a swtich. Any help would save me from buying a new router.Thanks :)

Connect Beam modem/router to Beetel Wifi router via Ethernet cable.Enable DHCP on Beam modem/router.Disable DHCP on Beetel Wifi Router.Set Windows to get IP address automatically.A problem might arise if both the modem and wifi router have the same Local IP (192.168.1.1)You can change the Wifi router's Local IP from Interface Setup >> LAN. Change it to 192.168.0.1On Beetel Wifi router. Go to Maintenance >> SysRestart >> Select the current settings radio button >> Restart.

I switched to cable net from MTNL net
See Post No 6.
Para two:
Confirm no modem supplied by CABLENET.
Connect Rj45 to LAN1 of Beetel450TCI. Another Rj45 to desktop.
Confirm Internet works.
ALL PVC's select " 1483 Bridged" mode
Or do you know VPI/VCI for CableNET ?
Feedback.

WIFI: check the default ssid . May be AIRTEL or Mngmt
WEP code 0987654321
Check whether any one appear in your laptop WLAN page.
get connected in WIFI mode.
If you want to use your own SSID/Security key, you may have to flash
New Firmware.
Post details of FW as it appears on Status Device Info.

Feedback.

My setup as above. BsnlBB 110BXI rj45 to Beetel450TCI ( adsl O/O/O) wifi ok.
Selected Static IP in Modem and gave Gateway as 192.168.1.1 ( 110BXI)
subnet 255.255.255.0 and Ip address 192.168.2.1 ( 450TCI)
PVC2 VPI/VCi 0 and 35 selected for BSNL. ( REST deactivated )

Correct, the new internet providers have not provided a modem. 1. I have tired both the bridge mode and the PPPoe with the service name and usd/pwd keeping both DHCP enabled and disabled with no result . 2. Also, is the SSID service dependent? The default SSID is mtnl

Disclaimer:
This is based on my experience with Beetel 450TC1 on AirTel Broadband settings. Your mileage may vary.

Background:
Beetel 450TC1, or another ADSL Modem + WiFi Router device has logically 2 kinds of interfaces:
#1. WAN (Internet)
#2. LAN

Physically there are 3 interfaces:
#1. ADSL (WAN)
#2. LAN (Ethernet/RJ45) switch (LAN)
#3. WiFi (LAN)
Interfaces 2 & 3 are internally connected, that's why you are able to connect to the internet either via wire (Ethernet/RJ45) or WiFi.

How this works is that the device acquires an Internet IP address on ADSL end of the connection. It also assigns IP addresses to your connected PC/Laptop etc. via DHCP.

Solution:
So if you want to use Beetel 450TC1, or another ADSL Modem + Wifi Router device as a WiFi router ONLY (that is, convert an incoming Ethernet connection to WiFi), here's how.

Connect to the router with WiFi & the incoming Ethernet connection to any LAN port. Then, its just a question of using the LAN Switch + WiFi as an extended switch to connect your PC/Laptop etc. to the incoming Ethernet connection.

I gave an IP address to the WiFi router (Interface Setup -> LAN -> Router Local IP), but maybe it can be made to work without it. Further research required along that angle if someone is so inclined.

Now the question is about static or DHCP IP's. Your options are:
#1. Don't use DHCP. Just assign static IP addresses to the PC/Laptop etc.
#2. Using DHCP to get IP addresses from your incoming Ethernet connection.

The first method is the simpler one. Figure out a free IP address from the pool in use on the incoming Ethernet connection along with the subnet mask & default gateway & use these settings on your PC/Laptop etc.

The second method involves additional steps. Go to Interface Setup -> LAN -> DHCP. Set it to 'Relay', specify the DHCP server & play around with the options till you get it right. I was unable to get it to work, so I stuck with the first method, since it's working for me.

Maybe some enterprising soul can work further on the second method. :-)

Hey,

I was previously using Airtel Boardband through beetel 450TC1 ADSL2+ Router, now I have changed my connection to Beam telecom.

I followed your steps, but its not working. I have some queries, but before that here is what I did.

1. I noted down my ip address, subnet mask, default gateway and dns server using cmd prompt and ipconfig /all
2. I pressed the reset in the back of the modem for 5 secs and brought the device to factory reset. It displayed SSID as Airtel.
3. I logged in using WEP 0987654321 or can be logged in using LAN and 192.168.1.1 (admin, password)
4. I went in to the setup page and that is were I got huge number of questions
a. What should be ATM VC values?
b. I put encapsulation type as Static IP address (is this right?) Beam telecom offered static ip for me (as i wanted to play games :D)
c. After choosing static IP address, what values should I enter in Static IP column? I entered the values which I got from command prompt. I still wonder what should be 1483 bridge type to be?

Please help me out here. Anyone.

Thanks

Hi,I was successful with the method mentioned by @japinder. But the internet was very slow such that the google page itself takes more than 15min to load. Can anyone help in speeding up this.Thanks,Yureshwar Ravuri

Back