Video Calling over JIO Network (not app based like Duo or WhatsApp)

SVK

twitter.com/svknet
ISP
Jio Fiber, Airtel 5G
At home we have 2 Samsung A Series phones with JIO sim on both phones. Samsung has option to make Video call directly by native phone app. Last week I tried making Video call through phone app and found that Video calling experience was great. There was no video freeze or buffering and video from other side was HD like quality. It was like watching some video instead of video call.
However when I tried Video call from JIO to Airtel (on Samsung J Series phone), other side only Audio call was received. Similarly when I tried Video call from JIO to JIO but other side having iPhone 7, that also did not work, and other side only Audio call was received.

I wanted to know has anybody else tried network based Video call on JIO without any 3rd party app like Duo or WhatsApp on any other brand Smartphones apart from Samsung. If this works, it is very good option for making Video calls.

i am guessing this is not popular in the country because operators do not cooperate with each other.
plus most phones do not come with native 4g video calling features. nexus and pixel devices do not support it. which means stock android does not have it.
so the companies that are offering it are doing on their own.

also... these are charged like texts and does not use regular 4g data from my understanding. jio used to highlight video calling charges in their plans. but they also have stopped doing it now.

This is one of those things about false advertising that I hate about our Indian telcos. Since we got 3G all networks advertise video calling, there even are ads catered to only video calling but none really support it natively nor do they show do to do it without a third party app.

Back