VPN to Office Network which plan would be better ?

• Thread starter Thread starter sim_tcr
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 3,360

sim_tcr

ISP
BSNL
Hi,

I am asked to provide weekend support for my project and need to work from home over the weekends; I will be doing a VPN connection to the office network.
Which would be the best Airtel plan for me? The cost should not go more than 1500rs per month.I need good speed so that I can work on the applications just like I am in office (or faster than that)
I will be using this connection just for VPN. Approximately 100 hrs in a month. In that case what would be the approximate data usage in 1 month?

Regards
Simon

IF you are going to RDP + Use VOIP to route office phone to your PC, then ANY plan that gives 256 kbps or better will do.Data usage will not cross 400 -500 MB for VPN.But if you are going to do file transfer + email from your PC itself (instead of RDP to your work PC) then data transfer might vary.

I have lot of meetings to attend (sametime meetings),in that i will have to share my screen and show other attendees.also will have to see their screensInstead of RDP if i use my own pc to send emails , browse instranet websites also RDP servers for administartion will the data usage cross mo 5 GB per month ? Consider that i am using VPN 100 hrs per month and no VOIP..( i have separate connection for that).also can you suggest good airtel plan for me ? RegardsSimon

It (screen share/meetings/intranet sites does not matter) if you are RDP to work PC.Otherwise it really depends on size of emails/files etc etc.If you RDP, then you should go with 256 unlimited plan.

If your office is going to pay for this, better go or UL 1499 plan (512 kbps unlimited).I also use VPN client to connect to my office and my 256 kbps conn also suffices, though at time, I would like my data transfer speed to be faster when getting large files from office servers. Also Nortel's VPN client and few others use data compression and that also improves speed.VoIP traffic depends on the audio codec being used but in any case they typically use 8-64 kbps but such applications require low latencies. At times, Airtel exhibits very large latencies which you should check in your setup. The ping time for my office VPN server from home is typically 56-60 msec, which is rather good.

crazee,my main usage will be remoting severs (RDP).and i want that to be faster rest usage will be for intranet sites and outlook i see that you ping results are extremy good,,what is your speed ? would 2Mbps speed enough for me ?

Back