What is the difference between Direct Coaxial cable(TV cable) or Direct Ethernet connection internet

• Thread starter Thread starter anandsesh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2
  • Views Views 6,740

anandsesh

ISP
BSNL, TataPhoton+
Hi,

I got Railwire connection yesterday after waiting for long time. I was said I will be given a direct Ethernet(LAN) cable internet connection which I can just plugin to my computer. But now they have provided a cable modem(some Chinese make company name and model is written in Chinese - named in the box top as "UNIFIEDGATEWAYS") and it is connected to my TV cable line(Coaxial cable) and then connected to my comp local LAN cable.

Is there any differnce between Direct Ethernet(LAN) connection internet and one via cable modem connecting to my TV Cable(Coaxial cable)? If so please let me know the advantage and disadvantage between both.

Do any one of you have this type of connection?

When I called my local cable operator internet support guy, he said they are doing it in test phase and they have given hardly few number of connection of this sort(via cable modem). They claim one of the connection which they have given is more than a year old and they haven't got any complaint till date. Even they said advantage of this over Direct Ethernet cable is , its a trouble in rectifying ethernet wire if there is a cut and its easy to rectify if the same happens in Coaxial Cable, and Coaxial Cable is more durable than Ethernet Cable.
They even said there wont be any performance difference between these two.

Please give me your reviews on the same.

Regards,
Anand S

Image of cable modem provided:

I have not used any broadband connection so I am not sure about it, but does any ISP provide Direct Ethernet Cable from their headend to Customer's location (home/office)?I believe Ethernet cable is only used internally between PC and Modem, while communication between ISP and Location happens over some cable (Coaxial/Fiber Optic).

I have not used any broadband connection so I am not sure about it, but does any ISP provide Direct Ethernet Cable from their headend to Customer's location (home/office)?

I believe Ethernet cable is only used internally between PC and Modem, while communication between ISP and Location happens over some cable (Coaxial/Fiber Optic).

It was said they will be providing a LAN wire type of connection which directly connects into my Comp- LAN card. I have seen the same Railwire connection(different cable operator) in my cousins place where the wire can be plugged directly into a PC or Router. There is nothing like coaxial cable/cable modem.

Back