What speeds of internet Qualifies as a "Good internet connection" in our country?

Hello.

What speeds of internet Qualifies as a "Good internet connection" in our country?

:ashamed:

It depends...:)

If you go by theoretical speed of broadband in India, it's 256kbps minimum. If you surf pages and don't mind few milliseconds gap in loading of pages then it's fine for you.

But If you love youtube then for having a good eyecandy non-pausing-video then 512kbps is cool...

If you are a super heavy downloader then 1Mbps is great...

In singapore min speed is 512kbps and next slots are 1/2/8/30/100mpbs:redface:
and they are providing 100mbps just for SG$125!!!(Roughly 3800INR:yahoo:)

The bare minimum I would consider decent internet is 512kbps. However, the average is closer to 256kbps.

It is not so much the speed but the quality of service that matters in India, what good would any speed be if you couldn't use it. Airtel in this regards is the best. Line is always up and running. Their plans and speeds that are offered in them are a different matter though.

very true. line should always be on. airtel has been the leader in this regard. but data transfer rates are not 100% constantly. i wish download rates would be constant.for ex: 48 KBps for 384kbps, 32kBps for 256 kbps.

very true. line should always be on. airtel has been the leader in this regard. but data transfer rates are not 100% constantly.

i wish download rates would be constant.

for ex: 48 KBps for 384kbps, 32kBps for 256 kbps.

Reason for data transfer not being 100% is Throughput and here in India not agency is there that monitors Throughput of companies.

3 Things decide speed:

1. Bandwidth (kbps)
2. Throughput (%)
3. Latency (msec)

It is important to understand that the advertised speed only show the speed of your “last mile” connection. If the networks are roads and the data your car, then your advertised speed only show your speed from the side road at your home to the main road. This may be fast but if the rest of your journey is congested, your overall traveling time is still slowed down. A better measurement of how well your line performs is therefore to look at its throughput, which resembles the car’s speed for the entire journey. A higher throughput is better.

very true. line should always be on. airtel has been the leader in this regard. but data transfer rates are not 100% constantly.

i wish download rates would be constant.

for ex: 48 KBps for 384kbps, 32kBps for 256 kbps.

For my 384kbps avg speed in last 40 hours is 49KB/s and upload speed is 57.7KB/s!!!! it's avg speed of 40 hours. Didn't shutdown the system and 2 torrents a being downloaded.:thumbsup:

Casual or once in a while user: 256kbpsModerate user (videos, downloads): 512kbps to 1mbps (the latter is quite uncommon though)Heavy User (loads of downloads aka pirate :whistle:): 2mbpsInternet freak and a rich bastard: 8mbps or above

Wat do u mean by constant data transfer rate?I believe decent speed in any country should be at least 2mb. Simply b'coz u need that speed to stream media and play games online without any problems

Back