Which hard disk is better -Seagate ST3500830NS or Seagate ST3500320AS?

• Thread starter Thread starter Shashank80
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 6,852
yep. 32mb cache ones are pretty expensive and not available in market! i wanted to sell mine and get 32mb cache and it wasnt available .. they are asking like 4000 for 32mb cache, and they dont have stock itseems.. I bought for 2800 including tax ! I think i will stick to the same 8mb cache as of now !!you can add up to 4 SATA hard drives in your system and 2-4 IDE hard drive (depending on the motherboard) !! It hardly matters about which hard drive you buy. You can buy 4 different make and use it !! For some particular raid, you need to have the same hardware and that is what it is mentioned in the site. YOu dont have to bother much about it ! you can definitely add more than 2 hard drive if you have sufficient slots on motherboard ! These days motherboard comes with 4 SATA ports and one IDE (2 devices can connect) port. So you dont have to worry !

motherboard?you have to worry about SMPS. and cabinate cooling. more than three hard disks on a cheap combo would mean disaster.

Thanks to both appus and Sushubh. I did not log on for some days, therefore this late reply. Yes, my hard disk is still with the hardware engineer. First, he brought back the ST3500830NS saying that the shopkeeper is not exchanging the drive. But when installing I saw a boot sector virus and returned it. Now, he says it is Principal Company Warranty and he will get it exchanged once he goes to Seagate Centre...where is it in Delhi? I have not used my hard disk even for a day and about 2 months of Warranty Period are gone. Will there be warranty again on the replaced hard disk? And how could have virus entered into an unused hard disk? :@And I don't know whether 32 MB cache 500 GB hard disk is available in Nehru Place or not. Let's hope for the best.My motherboard is MSI 945GCM7 - how good is it? And SMPS is Intex 450 Watt - how good is this? At present I won't be adding more than 2 hard disk drives to my system. Let this configuration work well first. I am almost fed up with my upgradation.

Hard disk will have warranty even after replaced once or twice. But it will be from the date of purchase. You can simply check online @seagate's website and see the warranty period for your particular hard disk by entering the serial number. MSI boards are good motherboards normally (compared to other). 450W power supply is more than enough !(Highest you get these days in Bangalore Market is 450W).

Thank you appus for the reply. Okay. But I have not yet used my hard disk.Okay MSI is good. Good to hear this. At least something is good. But Intex branded SMPS, I do not know whether it is genuine Intex or not. But my Intex PS/2 mouse gets disabled whenever my PC crashes and I restart it (I am using Windows XP. Can you tell me what could be the reason - the MSI motherboard or the Intex PS/2. Even my Intex branded Keyboard which I bought with the system less than 2 months ago is giving my typos - missing letters!!

I have got my HDD exchanged from Seagate Service Centre:thumbsup: after so many months(courtesy my Hardwarewallah:frown:). It is Model No. ST3500418AS of Seagate. The sticker says 7200.12. But it has only 16MB cache. Is it better than ST3500830NS or ST3500320AS(7200.11)?But I am having problems again:mad:. Sometimes one of my two hard disks -other one being ST3250310AS or my Sony DVD-Writer goes missing while working in Windows XP or when I reboot:confused:. Also the HDD LED glows faintly when I am still on the Boot menu:mad::confused:.

I am using Western Digital (WD)320 GB Serial –ATA HDD for sometime now, the performance is good and disk is running cool even after doing laborious task like antivirus scan & disk de-fragmentation. More over WD provides a 5 year warranty.

Back