Which is better??? USB or LAN connection

desicooldude

ISP
BSNL DataOne UPTO 2Mbps
I have a D-Link GLB 502T, and have been using it using LAN connection(BRIDGE MODE), and was satisfied with the speeds until i connected the router using USB connection. It was like BANG :S the speeds suddenly increased. Normally(LAN) if i watch youtube or any streaming site like Trailer Addict- Movie Trailers , the video would buffer every now and then. BUT now the speed at which the video loads is consistant(200+ KB/s) :yahoo: . And the speed result from 3rd party sites like 2Wire.com: Speed Meter shows 1.7MB/s. (earlier using LAN always showed 400-600 kbps) .

You might think it could be due to bad driver or some virus or something , but i have double checked using few antivirus softwares and also searched and installed latest drivers.
I use the raspppoe as the dialup software. And also used TCP Optimizer to tweak the connection to fullest.

So to all the people who use GLB 502t, please try to connect using USB in the BRIDGE MODE.

Enjoy :thumb:

LINKS
DLINK GLB 502t USB DRIVER
http://dlink.co.in/Upload/UploadDownload/GLB-502T_USB-Drivers.rar

RASPPPOE dailer
RASPPPOE - Download & Install

TCP optimizer
SpeedGuide.net :: TCP Optimizer / Downloads

There is no technical explanation for your case. In general, we prefer LAN for its ease. (no install/drivers). There might be something wrong with your LAN interface on the router or the motherboard. Otherwise, LAN and USB use the same mechanisms, and there is no difference. I have also experimented with this a few years ago.

lan is the best rather than usbno need to install any driversin my experience there is no such problems as speedethernet is by far best and easiest

Hi all,

Ethernet is best in all ADSL 2+ modem:
Ethernet is the preferred option for connecting a broadband modem, for the following reasons: Ethernet is technically more reliable than USB for networking. You are less likely to experience dropped connections or sluggish response time to your modem when using Ethernet over USB.

Also check the speed transfer between Ethenet & USB:

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/8990/transferspeedsusbwf6.gif

It is hard to understand how USB can give better throughput than Ethernet. :SUSB uses more CPU resources and that is reason enough to use Ethernet. Speeds should not be affected.

thanks for the replies guys, but the speed is slow when i use the LAN , cant figure it out why :wall:, but in the USB connection it is good, even the streaming videos load very fast i mean like 200+ kB/s consistent (have DU meter to monitor the speed), but in the LAN mode the streaming videos stuck every few seconds. I just cant understand it, any guidance from you all would be great guys.

Well, too many unknowns to figure out what is causing this. Keep using USB as that is better in your case.

Back