• Thread starter Thread starter Zoidberg
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 2,217

Zoidberg

John F****** Zoidberg
ISP
BSNL dataone UL1350
HiI had been using Huawei mt800 modem for a long time till now. That would be almost 3.5 years of regular use.A few days back my connection started having frequent disconnections so I checked the wiring and all the connections it turned out that the modem had reached its age. The telephone engineer agreed and replaced it with ut-300r2u model. I was amazed to see 20db+ snr ratios. (it used to be 10-15 with mt800) Anyway after the installation I was just trying to forward a port so that I can use torrents in a better way. But I found out through google and some blogs that the the version of modem I had, did not have a port forward option. I also know that by converting from pppoe to bridged mode should solve the issue, but I am not a fan of dialed-up internet. I am using u750 plan so I am not in too much need for dialed up way of connecting.My question: I am thinking of getting a new modem with a wifi (type-2) ability. Does any one know which modem BSNL may give ? and will it have port forwarding facitlity? If I have to purchase the modem from the market, which one is the best? I have heard several names like Nokia-siemens, beetel, Linksys etc.

Starcom Ut-300r2u is one of the most available BSNL modem. It is easily configurable. Go Here PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall and check the guide.

Related Info: http://wiki.broadbandforum.co/Port_Forwarding#For_UT-300R2U .. If you have the older firmware, consider upgreading

Regarding the Wi-fi router, you can get one from the market. Look for brands like Netgear, Linksys and D-Link. The router can be linked to your existing modem and be configured.

before I upgrade the firmware: As of now there is no option to create a virtual server under the 'NAT' option with the current firmware version. Will upgrading the firmware add that function? Where can i find the firmware? I tried google but could not find a proper source.

@18Lama
In the new model UT300R2U Virtual server
settings not available.
Users normally use the DMZ option.

From my DATABASE:
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/8201/75851163ch0.jpg

http://i22.tinypic.com/152byh3.jpg

If you want , you can try the FW version of ( BoardID same )
Beetel 220BX. . AT YOUR OWN RISK
See WIKI here
http://wiki.broadbandforum.co/Router_Firmwares

or thread FW update for 220BX in Airtel forum. for
older version having virtual server option, with beetelupgrade tool.

I am thinking of getting a new modem with a wifi (type-2) ability. Does any one know which modem BSNL may give
If on rent and exchange
probably WA3002-g4 or DNA- A211 ( ITI)( same as Beetel450BX)

@18Lama
In the new model UT300R2U Virtual server
settings not available.
Users normally use the DMZ option.

I have read somewhere that enabling that option is an open invitation to all kind of worms and viruses on the web to attack your pc.

Will it be safe to turn the 'DMZ' on with a software based firewall?

@18Lama Even if you use PF any download from unknown sites, the file can crash/infect your system. ( specially torrent sites/ link-removed etc ).We don't know whether the file ( photos/videos/ etc)we download has a virus/trojan/malware etc.Cnet ,Download.com etc certify virus free downloads.It is always better to have a Firewall/Resident Antivirus application/and check each file/appln downloaded for spy ware /trojans etc with spybot ad-aware etc.For application ( free) downloads try filehippo.com.

^ I do have mcafee total protection...

my question is that opening all the ports (except for 25 and 80) via dmz will be risky or not. Especially when I am using Azureus or utorrent. As far as I understand opening up one port via forwarding is safer than opening the entire local ip address. Correct me if I am wrong.

Coming back to my original question: I have shortlisted http://cgi.ebay.in/Linksys-WRH54G-Wireless-G-Broadband-Router-5-Vat-Extra_W0QQitemZ270325353400QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_203?hash=item270325353400&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A1|65%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318

for purchase from the market. The specs to match what I require, How ever it does not have an RJ11 slot for me to plug the phone line, it only has a single RJ45 connector the rear for internet connectivity. Are there any converters/cables available in India for RJ11 to RJ45 conversion?

How ever it does not have an RJ11 slot for me to plug the phone line, it only has a single RJ45 connector the rear for internet connectivity. Are there any converters/cables available in India for RJ11 to RJ45 conversion?
Er no , a router is what you would term as an RJ11 to RJ45 converter , you need to have an ADSL router to use with that WiFi router , the RJ45 from the ADSL modem will go into the wifi router and then you can access internet ,

else you can use a Wireless Modem , it is an ADSL modem and WiFi router built in but costs more (~2.5-3k)

I personally use a Huawei HG520 wireless router cum modem from MTNL

Back