which phone to buy ??? please help to choose

you are wrong actually. i can browse to a page with the apk file. download it. and install it. just like i install apps on windows or mac or linux. no hacking or rooting required. works on the official nexus one google sells in the market.

this also means that we get quicker updates to apps because they are able to deliver to us directly. rather than wait for Apple moderators to go through the apps.

iPhone os 4 is further going to restrict third party developers. they would be forced to use apple authorized tools for development. that is nuts. it is like microsoft forcing you to use visual studio to develop apps if you want them to work on windows.

apple has gone nuts trying to control their entire ecosystem. what you are saying is just the glitz of their products. what you are doing is falling into a trap. if you look at the bigger picture, you would realize that you are turning yourself into a victim.

apple on mobile devices is pretty much like microsoft on the desktops. worse actually. microsoft has never enforced rules that apple is enforcing through their iphone platform. banning flash. banning legal apps like SSH. banning third party development tools! banning adult content even when your device support parental control. it is rather freaky.

how would you feel like if you could only install microsoft authorized apps on windows? how would you feel like as a developer if you are forced to split the profits generated from your product with Microsoft just because you want it to run on Windows?

look at the bigger picture and maybe then you would realize why i dislike the iPhone. not because of what it is. but because what apple is turning it into.

i have no problems with the device itself. i love the built quality of the product. i have problems with the Apple controlled environment on it. just that.

You may rage over apple banning this and that, the normal dude doesn't really care what was used to create the software as long as the software is good. There is a reason apple has been successful with this iPhone.

The normal user doesn't want to hack to use the phone. iPhone has really simple interface that clicks with the users. Now i am not saying other androids and meegos aren't good enough, its just that no one gives a damn the the mobileOS has opensource linux in it or not.

The iPhone doesn't even target like yourselves as customer, the target the rest million people who just want to use a phone that has "fart app" in it.

i am not a normal user. i worry about the future. i worry about the openness of the web. i worry about the powers i have as a user. and that is why i despise Apple iPhone and apple ipad. if we did not have people who 'worried' about these things, the world would be a very sad place to live in. you want to be part of the crowd, feel free to be part of one. i like to make an informed choice and i think i made a good one purchasing the nexus one. i don't care if you love your iphone or not. but i do care you recommending one to other folks without informing them about the choice they are going to make. and that is the reason i have been wasting my time posting the same thing again and again in this thread. Apple iPhone is a closed device. it is bad for the open nature of the web. it is bad for the open nature of the mobile platform. just that.

---------- Post added at 04:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 AM ----------

in simple terms... just because you like the iphone, do not PUSH it on to others without explaining the problems with it. a user is asking for recommendations. you are suggesting a device based on blind faith. no justification. here i am trying to highlight the problems with all the platforms so that he can make an informed device. i recommend google android over other platforms because it is currently the best option for anyone looking for options (price and brand).

i am not a normal user. i worry about the future. i worry about the openness of the web. i worry about the powers i have as a user. and that is why i despise Apple iPhone and apple ipad. if we did not have people who 'worried' about these things, the world would be a very sad place to live in. you want to be part of the crowd, feel free to be part of one. i like to make an informed choice and i think i made a good one purchasing the nexus one. i don't care if you love your iphone or not. but i do care you recommending one to other folks without informing them about the choice they are going to make. and that is the reason i have been wasting my time posting the same thing again and again in this thread. Apple iPhone is a closed device. it is bad for the open nature of the web. it is bad for the open nature of the mobile platform. just that.

---------- Post added at 04:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 AM ----------

in simple terms... just because you like the iphone, do not PUSH it on to others without explaining the problems with it. a user is asking for recommendations. you are suggesting a device based on blind faith. no justification. here i am trying to highlight the problems with all the platforms so that he can make an informed device. i recommend google android over other platforms because it is currently the best option for anyone looking for options (price and brand).

I am not recommending anyone anything, don't mistake me for apple fanboy. I too hate that apple is forcing the developer to write in a particular programming language with their goddamn tools.

I am just describing the difference between you and the apple iPhone user, you are right in what you wrote about the openness, its just that the average iphone user is too ignorant or don't care about it.

Even after enforcing those new rules, apple will still be the most popular phone in teenagers. Its just the way it is.

hehe i was pointing towards the other guy i was arguing with :)

as for Apple iPhone being the most popular smartphone in the market... well windows is the most popular OS. internet explorer is the most popular web browser. :) not that apple is as bad as either of these two. microsoft has done an excellent job with windows 7. internet explorer 9 is expected to be a much better browser. but unlike microsoft, apple is taking the opposite route. :)

was reading this article... is relevant to the current discussions: Tim O’Reilly: Steve Jobs Is Trying To Build A Fundamental Challenge To The Web

i am scared of two companies right now as a web user. apple and facebook. people are generally scared of google. google is pretty cool when i look at apple and facebook. :)

---------- Post added at 04:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 AM ----------

btw. i am a big fan of the concept behind the apple ipad. i actually want a device like that for my dad who enjoys using a touchscreen device. he liked the multi-touch on the macbook i own (!) and he is pretty comfortable checking his email on my nexus one.

i am just waiting for an apple ipad like device that is powered with either google chrome os or google android or any other similar open platform. i would buy it for him. perfect pc for my dad. :)

Google might be the only company that i get good vibes from :)Microsoft is not bad either now, Windows 7 is the best(Atleast for non-linux users like us :D), Internet Explorer 9 is an update i am eagerly waiting for, although i am not sure it will be able to burn what IE 6 has done to the web development community. IE6 is the bloat from Microsoft that will never be forgiven. :(

hehe. internet explorer 6 is actually not that evil as it looks right now. when it was launched, it was THE most advanced browser in the market. it supported a lot of new technologies (both standard and proprietary). it was the first browser to support several ajax related things that are pretty common today. remember gmail worked perfectly in IE at launch time. no other browser would have supported something like Gmail back in 2001-2002. the problem with IE6 was that there was no competition. microsoft saw no need to evolve. IE6 became the defacto standard. until mozilla arrived on the scene and pushed the boundaries. things are becoming interesting again. mozilla is no longer the champion of being the best 'browser' in the market today. chrome has taken the crown. microsoft is working pretty hard on IE9. mozilla is working very hard to catch up with chrome's speed. opera has done an amazing job on their part despite being a niche browser used by few folks out there. Apple might be the company behind webkit... but they are the ones failing to do much with safari. it is used by pretty much nobody on windows. and most people on macs are shifting to chrome or have already shifted to firefox/camino.

hehe. internet explorer 6 is actually not that evil as it looks right now.

when it was launched, it was THE most advanced browser in the market. it supported a lot of new technologies (both standard and proprietary).

it was the first browser to support several ajax related things that are pretty common today. remember gmail worked perfectly in IE at launch time. no other browser would have supported something like Gmail back in 2001-2002.

the problem with IE6 was that there was no competition. microsoft saw no need to evolve. IE6 became the defacto standard. until mozilla arrived on the scene and pushed the boundaries.

things are becoming interesting again. mozilla is no longer the champion of being the best 'browser' in the market today. chrome has taken the crown. microsoft is working pretty hard on IE9. mozilla is working very hard to catch up with chrome's speed. opera has done an amazing job on their part despite being a niche browser used by few folks out there. Apple might be the company behind webkit... but they are the ones failing to do much with safari. it is used by pretty much nobody on windows. and most people on macs are shifting to chrome or have already shifted to firefox/camino.

It will only get better. Can't wait for firefox 4 :D

The only thing I don't like about chrome is its weak extension support. No real adblocking solution. :(

Firefox lags way behind in overall browser speed and interface design. But that might be due to the 20 addons i have installed. :D

(I use this as a theme.)

There’s no simpler way to put it, Google is an engineering company while Apple is a design company. ANDROID was constructed to meet a set of features. The iPhone was crafted to meet the exacting tastes and incredible demands of one Steve Jobs. That might sound funny, but it’s the difference between something that sounded usable in the schematics, and something that just works in the real world.Android 2.0 is no doubt leaps and bounds ahead of Android 1.x (which famously presented users with a Google Search box and flashing cursor when no keyboard was present with which to enter any input).Notwithstanding the lack of multitouch(In most devices) mentioned above, however, there’s a reason why even the original iPhone revolutionized the smartphone space long before the App Store showed up — it’s interface is pure usability. From 2 year old to octogenarian, it’s intuitive and consistent, and you can never underestimate the importance of — or difficulty in achieving — both of those.Again, many consumers may not care. Good enough is often good enough.I am not pushing a product on anyone, I'm merely suggesting it as a feasible option,As for limitations, Yes the iPhone is closed source, as a user, why would you care if you're getting what you want?I had originally helped in the development of a few Installer apps back when the iPhone was just launched. I know as a developer, the iPhone is very frustrating and I emphasize with you on that front.

personally. i accept to only one ideology being pushed by Apple right now. html5 over flash. only for videos though. not for user interfaces. not for standalone applications. just for video delivery over the web. we can live without flash for that.

Back