which phone to buy ??? please help to choose

Long story short, You don't like the closed nature of the iPhone. That's perfectly valid.But then again, why would that bother an average consumer.

mmm because he has to jailbreak the device to install apps that Apple does not like? mmm because he has to jailbreak if he does not like to continue using airtel/vodafone?

True @HTML 5. It is better than flash, and all things considered, Apples blatant disregard for flash on the iPhone and iPad have really helped in the implementation of HTM5 as the new web video standard.

so i need to upgrade from Nokia 5800
i want a touch screen preferably with a qwerty keyboard
i know that i don't want windows mobile because winmo 7 is coming and not blackberry because of data plans and no symbian because i already have one

so now i am left to choose from android and maemo 5 nokia n900

with so many android handsets i am confused and also the various variants of android confuse me. android 1.5, 2.0,2.1 , and is there an android app store etc and also there are so many handsets.. xperia x10 and the whole of htc stable ,then nexus one ,motorola milestone

so basically i dont know the differences between all the android handsets and which is the best of them and compare which android phone to nokia n900 and then decide

how much is n900 right now ?

i only support the video player argument. other than that... not really. of course we all hate adobe flash powered ads. but flash still does plenty of stuff that html5 cannot. and that makes the lives of a lot of folks hard. but of course. it is a very small concern for the end user. most popular websites are already supporting ipad/iPhone officially. but if you end up on a crucial website that requires flash... you are stuck in a pretty bad situation. a possible scenario is a banking website. but i don't believe any of them rely on flash for crucial purposes. :D thank god activex is pretty much history now. i hated when IE was REQUIRED to access banking services.

That is why I suggested buying a factory unlocked phone.Again, I'm not referring to developers like you or me, the average consumer is happy with a fart app as stirredo mentioned earlier. The AppStore does a darn good job at that.I barely have 3-4 jailbreak apps on my iPhone. (Catrgories which comes built in in OS4, winterboard(for themes) which is also being added to OS4. and SBsettings)

how much is n900 right now ?

I have heard you can firefox with adblock plus on it. Pretty goddamn cool.

i actually came very close to buying the Nokia n900. fabulous device when it was launched. but meego thing complicates the entire scene for this series of smartphones.

nokia i believe had announced that they would only launch 1-2 devices based on maemo per year. i hope that situation is changed after the deal with intel.

nokia needs to get over symbian (unless they have done something 'magical' with symbian^3). they should get totally behind meego. with intel's support, they could really challenge the smartphone market at least outside the USA. their situation is pretty hopeless in america :D

---------- Post added at 05:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 AM ----------

intel on their part have just announced their atom processor designed for smartphones. they claim a 10 day battery life (standby) 2 days of music play and i think 8 hours of conversation on 3G. i don't think these are exciting figures. but they are one company that can make things complicated for ARM in the smartphone processors segment of the market.

i actually came very close to buying the Nokia n900. fabulous device when it was launched. but meego thing complicates the entire scene for this series of smartphones.

nokia i believe had announced that they would only launch 1-2 devices based on maemo per year. i hope that situation is changed after the deal with intel.

nokia needs to get over symbian (unless they have done something 'magical' with symbian^3). they should get totally behind meego. with intel's support, they could really challenge the smartphone market at least outside the USA. their situation is pretty hopeless in america :D

Will they be developing meego on top of that new super fast intel mobile processor? :pleasehelp:

hehe i am not sure if meego is going to be exclusive to intel processors. that would be a bad business choice. but now that intel is involved, it could be the case. but considering it is an open source platform, it would get ported to other platforms eventually. the question remains... would meego be still relevant if it is not developed at a quick pace?

it is also likely to be used by intel in smartbooks. however Apple ipad is killing that segment of the market already.

---------- Post added at 05:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 AM ----------

apple made a brilliant choice by using their own customized a4 branded processor in the ipad. the same processor is likely to power the next iPhone and ipod touch. no one knows if they are going to use a similar processor in their macbooks in the future. knowing jobs, that could be part of their long term plan.

Back