Wifi MTNL Internet on Ipod Touch

@ anuj I have a desktop PC without WiFi. As for the app I mentioned, that was just an example of controlling the PC with an iPod touch, I havent actually used it yet. I guess there will be other similar apps that are better than this.

@ anuj

I have a desktop PC without WiFi. As for the app I mentioned, that was just an example of controlling the PC with an iPod touch, I havent actually used it yet. I guess there will be other similar apps that are better than this.

pc and ipod both need to be connected to the same wifi network...
u'll need a wifi router and a wifi network adapter for your desktop

i bought Cisco Linksys wrt54gh... good router 1600-1800 i guess (dont remember)
my friend had the mtnl router.... for some reason his ipod touch never connected to it... we tried a lot of router settings and called mtnl guys but they couldnt fix it.... in the end he shifted to airtel

I'm not sure whether this should go in this forum or elsewhere. Request the admin/mod to please move it if necessary.

I have an MTNL supplied D-Link DSL 502T router with which I connect to the Internet. There are no problems with the router. I just bought an iPod Touch 3rd gen 32GB.

What do I need to do to:

[*]Get a Wifi connection on the iPod
[*]Be able to control the computer with the iPod, for eg, with a remote control application?
[/list]
Do I need a USB Wifi adapter? If so, will it allow me to get the Internet on the iPod? Or do I need to change the router to a wifi one? If I need a new router, how long does MTNL take to replace my existing router with the Wifi one and what will be the monthly rental (I currently dont pay any monthly rent for the DSL 502T router.)

I am looking for the lowest cost solution please, though not at the cost of reliability:happy:

Hey dude,look at this solution:
1.Call mtnl guys and ask them for wifi solution for ur home..or u may check tariff and rentals at their website: Bharat on line
OR
buy wifi router from market(Netgear or Belkin wireless g router(model no:F5dxxx)).It will cost u 1400 INR,in case u dont want to pay monthly rentals .
go to itunes store>zumi controller or remote deskop lite or team viewer(they all are free remote desktop viewing application)
3. download and install them.
But remember one thing,the applications are slow,and u may get frustated sometimes

This setup will make ur setup having one modem(502T)+wifi router+ipod touch.
BTW if u want to replace both modem and wifi-router with one box,then there is model available in market and I think it is 2500 rs + ..but I dont remember the model number....
but I think that will not be low cost solution..

regarding USB adapter, IPOD touch has wifi adapter bulit in so u dont need to worry about that.
GOOD LUCK

Update: To everybody: Thank you all so much for your help. I asked MTNL to replace the wired D-Link DSL 502T router with a Wifi model. They have given me a white one with a single LAN port and 4 LEDs in front (Power, LAN, ADSL, Wireless). I am not sure which model this is because there is no name on it but the configuration page is orangey-black. Also, at the exchange, i was told there would be no charges to switch to wireless except a Rs 50 service charge, while the guy who installed it said there will be a 600 buck charge in the next bill. Lets see what it comes to, finally. Anyway, the Wifi is set up and the iPod can connect to the net finally!Edit: I figured I have the UTSTARCOM WA3002-g1 modem. Is this any good? My previous Dlink was great - 4 years with zero problems.

I have a Huawei HG520 given by MTNL and the iPhone worked with it , so I dont think its a router issue .

Hi Manu,

I too have installed a wireless modem provided by MTNL yesterday. However today while connecting my Ipod, it asks for Password. The engineer never provided any nor the helpline has any idea about it.

How or where can i find the password, any idea?

Thanks.

^^ What is the model no. of the router ?

Goto http://192.168.1.1 , admin:admin should work if you haven't changed the password . Once you have logged in ; Goto Interface Setup >> Wireless , find the column named Pre-Shared Key , your network key will be listed in front of it .

^^ What is the model no. of the router ?

Goto http://192.168.1.1 , admin:admin should work if you haven't changed the password . Once you have logged in ; Goto Interface Setup >> Wireless , find the column named Pre-Shared Key , your network key will be listed in front of it .

I'm not sure of the model no. of the router. I'll check and let you know with the steps that you suggested.

Thanks a lot. Will get back after the result :)

Cheers~

I'm not sure of the model no. of the router. I'll check and let you know with the steps that you suggested.

Thanks a lot. Will get back after the result :)

Cheers~

The password to connect the iPod to the router would generally be the CA number printed on your phone bill. In my case it was.

if its not just goto router wireless settings create a wireless n/w having encryption viz WPA/PSK1/2 , WEP etc enter the passphrase/shared access key..use the same password to connect the ipod...my itouch latches onto WPA-PSK with TKIP encryption very well

Back