will tv imported from usa will work in india ??

• Thread starter Thread starter almon
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 5,361

almon

Regular
ISP
Airtel
hiI am planning to import 42' LCD TV from usa. The issue is that I am confused whether it will work in india. The standard in india is PAL but USA follows NTSC.let say if i connect it to d2h(videcon) service which av inputs,then will it work on that. As signals would be PAL(india supported format)and I would be having ntsc tv.or is there any problem if I completely switch to digital solution. for example I buy HD box from Tata Sky and connect it to my HDTv.

frankly speaking all TVs i have seen in the recent years have the option to switch between PAL and NTSC.

i have never heard someone buying TV from USA and telling that it didnt work here. infact i am seeing this question for the first time!

well yeah. whenever i go to the airport to pick up my friend who visits india once a year, i bet i see at least a couple of folks who are carrying with them television sets and what not... so it is a pretty popular trend and i guess there are no issues with it.

---------- Post added at 07:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

personally i find it hard to believe that someone would carry a LCD to india today with them being easily available in the local market.

of course they are cheaper overseas... but i assume they would attract a decent custom duty negating any benefit you get from getting them from outside.

and carrying to india a 42" monster! i mean it is going to be rather huge!

though i have a friend who bought a smuggled unit from gaffar in delhi. it was much cheaper compared to a similar model from a retail store. so that is one route of getting them cheap. with no warranty of course.

yeah Its all about price,they are much cheaper is US. one thing I want to ask is that are HD tv same everywhere in world...or like analog standard(NTSC, PAL) they do have standards according to the country.

Well yeah even I've seen them on conveyors of International as well as domestic airports many times .. they are usually picked up by Sindhi Brothers .. who I think eventually sell them at a profit.. really is surprising how easily they carry the monster .. next time i see one of those .. will definitely ask the guy picking them abt customs :)

you forget 110v.

us tv's are 110v so it wont work unless it has a 220v option

Yes, but you get 220 - 110 converters for Rs 1000 to 1500 in Chandni chowk, 1 KW capacity is compulsory as it will burn out and you tv too if less than that capacity

Back