You can only have a Tata Sky HD DTH as a secondary connection and not upgrade !!!

• Thread starter Thread starter bhojv74
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 10,194

bhojv74

Regular
ISP
JIO Fttx / Hathway
I'm very disappointed with TS. I had 3 STBs, 2 active and 1 dormant, I placed the order for HD boxes at Tata Sky IVR and had clearly mentioned that I want to replace my two SD connections with that of HD. They informed me that there was no exchange policy and that I need to pay for the STB Rs 2599, I was okay with that and gave them a go ahead. The TS engineer came today with two HD boxes, this guy had no clues, he asked me if it was an exchange case and whether he needs to take the old boxes back. Anyway, since I've a complicated HT setup at my place, I helped him setup both the boxes, then he called up someone on his cell to get the boxes activated and then the problem started. He says, since in my ID I already have 3 boxes (2 active and 1 dormant) I can only add 1 more box (SD or HD). I told him that I was not adding them, rather I was dropping my old boxes and replacing them with HD, so I should be having only 2 HD boxes under my ID. He called up someone again, he made me speak to him and he clearly and very arrogantly told me that the HD connection can be added only as a secondary connection, there is no upgrade policy as of now. So what he can do for me is, keep the primary SD connection intact, and drop the other 2 SD connections, and replace them with 2 HD ones which will take 2-3 hrs. He asked me to pay his guys for the boxes & that the connection will get activated later on its own. I refused to pay till I get the connection activated.So for all the guys with single SD connection and looking forward to REPLACE that with HD, check back with the customer care center before doing the same, and if you have already done it, recheck if they have added HD to your primary connection or REPLACED ?

Nope that is not true. Although when you call CC for activation they may first try to suggest that they will add it as a 2nd box in addition to the new one. You just need to say that u need the new HD box as your main one and do not need the existing one.I got it activated just now. For me they took the digicard from the old box and put it into the new one and the backend then enabled it on the HD Box. They also asked a coupe of times if I needed the old box. I said i do need it

Tata Sky becoming worst and worst... Dish Tv has an option to exchange the current SD box with HD. And if we exchange our current box with HD, we get Rs.400/- credit in our account. TS just wanna earn profit and profit only. They dnt think abt the best for customers... im switching to Dish Tru HD in some days...

well thats what you get when you go for a premium service provider. you get some. you lose some. Tata Sky has never been about low costs.

Nope that is not true. Although when you call CC for activation they may first try to suggest that they will add it as a 2nd box in addition to the new one. You just need to say that u need the new HD box as your main one and do not need the existing one.

I got it activated just now. For me they took the digicard from the old box and put it into the new one and the backend then enabled it on the HD Box.

They also asked a coupe of times if I needed the old box. I said i do need it

My dear friend, either you were lucky or they have changed policy just yesterday. Or you have been duped, check to see if you have same old subscriber ID or has it changed ? also the new HD STB monthly rental of Rs 150 is waived off for the 1st 2 months, so check your invoice the 3rd month if they have charged you for an add on connection. I've posted my ordeal in this forum before on this topic, and here it goes again:

I had 3 connections before I ordered tskyHD, 2 of which was active, and 1 was dormant. Since tskyHD was not available in any kolkata store, I ordered it on tsky helpline IVR, they checked my record and asked me if i wanted to retain any of the 3 connections. I told them very clearly that I dont wanna retain any of my old STBs and wanna replace them with the new HD boxes. So they acknowledged and took the order.

After 2 days the tsky engineer came home with two new HD boxes, I helped him install them since I got a complicated setup at my place, then during activation he communicated with someone through his cell phone and then told me that only one HD box can be activated as under once subscriber ID at the max 4 boxes can be activated, this my old 3 boxes + 1 new box = 4 box. I told him that I had ordered to drop all my existing boxes and replace them with the new ones thus making one of the HD box my primary connection. He spoke to helpline, made me speak, still the same thing, they said they can drop the 2 add-on connections but cant drop the primary SD stb undr my ID and that the HD boxes has to be add-ons only. I asked to escalate the issue then and there, he then contacted his chief engineer, who was very stiff in his language, and told me the same thing. He gave me an option of creating a new ID for the 2 HD boxes and closing the old ID alltogether which I could not do since I had over 2k in cash balance + 6 mths of super saver pack left. I told him that this information was not their on their website and neither I was told of this when I placed the order over their IVR and that I can take them to court for this duping. He was rude and said he cant help me and this was the rule, so I had to opt to retain one olf STB and take the new ones as add-ons. He asked me to pay his engineer in cash after the discussion and before my HD boxes were activated, I refused for the same, I told him that get it activated and take the money. He said you would have any way paid cash if you would have bought it from a store, I replied thats the reason I did not buy from the store directly. So he told the engineer to take out the installed boxes from my system and then come back again later, I told them they that I wont allow them to touch anything, and neither I have the patience and energy to go through all the physical labour of of uninstallation & reinstallation again. So the engineer left my plase with a promise to return in 5 hrs and that I will have a call from tsky HO. After an hr I got a call and was informed of the same options again, and I once again was made to go in for addon as I had no logical options. After 5 hrs the engineer came and then he activated the system, I paid him the money and he went away.

My dear friend, either you were lucky or they have changed policy just yesterday. Or you have been duped, check to see if you have same old subscriber ID or has it changed ? also the new HD STB monthly rental of Rs 150 is waived off for the 1st 2 months, so check your invoice the 3rd month if they have charged you for an add on connection.

I have the same subscriber id. I have the Annual mega pack and after activating the new box also, it shows due date as Feb 2011(which is correct). The old STB is no longer active. There is only one connection against my id

well thats what you get when you go for a premium service provider. you get some. you lose some. Tata Sky has never been about low costs.

Well the issue was not about being low cost or high, I never asked them to take the old stb back and give some credit. But its totaly wrong to the existing set of customers when they are forced to addon a connection for an upgrade, thats Unethical and in no way premium service.

If I have only one TV, what will they do. Because if i buy HD TV, i dump my SD TV, in my home my parents will not allow for 2 TV Sets.

Now i am paying Rs. 260, if i get HD, i need to pay Rs. 260+150+30 ie. 440 per month. OMG

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

I had one doubt, What if i buy new Tata Sky connection for HD, instead of upgrade.

Well friend, I just called them back to check if I can get my primary connection shifted to one of the HD boxes without loosing my annual package, and I received the same reply as before. I even told them that a friend has got this done, so they told me that all your packages are associated to the primary connection, they can interchange the primary with the secondary and then drop it, but I would be loosing the annual package that is associated with that old STB. (which expires in Jan 2011). I've the entire conversation recorded on my phone.So maybe you were extremely lucky in this case to retain your annual mega packs. But in general this is not their policy.EDIT: Another thought, maybe they are lying about forfeiting the annual package when the primary connection is swapped with a secondary one, but dont really wanna take a risk, as though for 2 months the new HD scondaries are free, will try again after 2 mths.

Back