• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 26,274

onewhoknows

Regular
ISP
BSNL
Article on Rediff..

It offers you a picture resolution comparable to a 35mm movie screen. Along with CD-quality sound in a widescreen format, high-definition television, or HD TV, ensures movies on channels don't have the jarring black bars on the top and bottom of the screen.

With all these advantages packed into one, HD TV is all set to make a grand entry in India by the year-end. Direct-To-Home operators -- Dish TV and Reliance Communications [Get Quote] -- are planning to offer HD TV set top boxes, though at a premium.

Broadcasters, such as INX Media and STAR TV, are already producing content for HD TV. Consumer electronics companies, such as Samsung, are already selling over 2.5 million HD TV sets, which make up 16 per cent of their total TV set sales.

Dish TV Director Jawahar Goel said: "All our DTH equipment is HD-TV ready. We hope to sell HD TV set-top boxes by the third quarter of the year."

Goel said the boxes were available at prices ranging from $85 (Rs 3,300) to $100 (Rs 4,000), double the price of the ordinary set-top box. A Reliance Communications executive also confirmed they would be offering HD TV set top boxes soon.

Content producers and broadcasters have already jumped on the bandwagon. Peter Mukherjea, chief strategy officer, INX media, said, "It might be 30 per cent to 50 per cent more expensive to produce HD TV content but we have decided to make the switch with our news channel. For a news-based channel, it does not make sense to buy equipment that is not HD TV-ready."

STAR TV is also taking steps in this direction. Kirten Adyanthaya, general manager, STAR Plus, said: "Mahabharata, an upcoming show on our channel, will be made in high-definition. We are experimenting at the moment and, based on the response, we will consider the move for other shows, too."

Regional broadcasters are also cashing in on the technology.

Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y S Rajasekhara Reddy's son, YS Jagan Mohan Reddy, is launching an HD TV news and current affairs channel by October.

Experts say the push to HD TV has been prompted by the government's decision that the 2010 Commonwealth Games will be broadcast only in high-definition. As a result, Doordarshan, which is also expected to launch HD-TV on an experimental basis, has stated it will produce content for the Commonwealth in this format.

HD TV technology, which was made commercially available in 1998, has spread across the globe so much so that the US government has set February 17, 2009 as the deadline to shut off the usual over-the-air analog broadcasts.

Wat is the use of Dish tv giving the Hdtv stb? Even after they give the hdtv stb,they will be showing the VC Number on the screen and make the picture ugly.If they show the VC Number then wat is the use of hdtv?we cannot enjoy the High Definition Fully.

:( lets all decide and ons shot and keep calling Customer care.. or atlease send one complaint by each subscriber. What you guys say? matter or Rs 2!!!! ThanksBala

Let me first of all correct you... article is not fully correct and I am surprised as most of the articles in Indian media are wrong.quote "It offers you a picture resolution comparable to a 35mm movie screen. Along with CD-quality sound in a widescreen format, high-definition television, or HD TV, ensures movies on channels don't have the jarring black bars on the top and bottom of the screen." unquote Wrong: 35 mm film has got much higher detail roughly comparable to digital cinema resolution of 4k2k ( roughly 4200 X 2080) where as full high def is just 1920 X 1080 so as long as TV screen is say upto 50" in size, there shouldn't be remarkable difference but as soon as size size increases, there is enormous difference. I saw the glimse of 4k2k tv ( 150 inch plasma tv by Panasonic ) and it's awesome. That's what is close to 35mm film. 'red' is a company which masters such cameras.Second point which is irrelevant in the article is shutting down analogue signal. That is true but this is being done for digital tv and not solely for High Def programs. Digital TV includes SD also. Talk are being held to use those free bandwidth to utilize HD transmission though .I have been using HD for last 3 years now, both through sky and camcorder, and what I can say is it's a good technology which makes picture look really very sharp, but it's not out of the world so please don't over expect.Happy to discuss further on this topic.

I agree. HD (if and when it comes) will be too little, too late. By now we should be thinking of skipping this generation of technology and going straight to 2K, 4K.

OT: I find it to amusing and tragic at the same time, how many people buy LCD HDTVs, and pay anywhere from 50K to 2L, just to get Tata Sky/dish at quarter the quality a comparable CRT would have given them!!!! All for style!

People have already started buying HD ready LCD sets. Just look at the 2008 sales figures which is even expected to jump because of new technically advanced HD sets being introduced in Indian market by big manufacturers. I purchased LG Black Pearl 32" HD ready LCD TV at 44K two months back in Kolkata. In just 2 months, the price drop was 8k as new models were introduced in the market and old model MRP lowered. This price drop is going to be there just like computer prices falling and new technology with more powered parts are getting introduced. As for HD, when people are spending quite a large amount for the HD TV sets, they are also willing to pay a premium for HD broadcast just to utilize the full potential of their TV sets. I have seen HD broadcasts in US and they are just no match for normal SD broadcast. Just like comparing the quality of watching a VCD and a DVD.Thanks,SS

OT: I find it to amusing and tragic at the same time, how many people buy LCD HDTVs, and pay anywhere from 50K to 2L, just to get Tata Sky/dish at quarter the quality a comparable CRT would have given them!!!! All for style!

You are wildely mistaken. I along with many ppl are using Pehla, a broadcasting compnay from UAE which provides actual DVD quality. It costs about 1800RS per month and the STB cost 15000RS when we bought it, so we can enjoy the good qulaity. There is a world of diff between Tata Sky and Pehla. I find it amusing and tragic at the same time, how ppl outside india have availablity to watch indian channels at a much higher quality than ppl in India.

Back