2 cables from the Dish..Why not Splitter

• Thread starter Thread starter sajusankar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 14,637

sajusankar

ISP
Airtel
I had booked my HD DVR upgrade and the engineer came in today and told me that he has to lay a second cable for the recorder to work. I didnt understand the logic as i have few friends who DVR's from Tata Sky works on single cable and splitter. Would like to know whether any of you folks have tried this on Airtel.. I have right now said no because of this and the engineer has taken the box back to his office.

Even I wonder, why Airtel gives two cables. Cant they split it? Or infact why shud one require splitter. Splitter can be directly implemented inside STB itself, this way there will be minimum loss of signal.

I have taken Airtel HD Recorder DTH day-before-yesterday and I think the need for 2nd cable is due to the facility of recording 2 channels simultaneously.

must be because of hardware used inside. tata may have different hardware than airtel. well its better to have different cables for different stuff so as it may improve noise immunity. on a single cable bandwidth will be shared in case to two cable system, system will work more efficiently!!!!

2 reasons:1)There will be a loss in signal strength on using splitter, I checked it myself without splitter strength was 183, with splitter 140.2) Tata Sky is moving to horizontal & vertical signal pattern in future, so splitter wont be able to record if you are viewing channel with horizontal signal & want to record one with vertical signal. hence 2 separate cables are required. Thats the reason they have stopped installing splitters recently.Hope this solves your query...........

Point 1 can be solved by amplification in splitter.But point 2 is valid point. So that has to be the real reason.

@tempuser What exactly do you mean by a horizontal and vertical signal. I thought the LNB is pretty dumb on that count.

yeah well I ve pretty much read that you know. I know about the vertical and horizontal polarization thingy. What I dont understand is the fact as to how the duo lnb helps in vertical/horizontal split as it does work on the probe concept. Whatever is in range should fall in. Please correct if i am missing something here...

Back