MTNL Mumbai [2014 Nov] Morning Speed Very Low...Evening Speed OK.

• Thread starter Thread starter scott274
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 3,451

scott274

BBF Noob
ISP
MTNL Triband
Is anybody else experiencing this, for many days now I get 10-30 kbps in the morning, downloading is almost impossible. But speeds are ok in the evening.

My existing plan: DSL_UNLTD_550 (anybody else still on this!)
Speed:
07am - 19pm - 1 Mbps
19pm - 07am - 1.5 Mbps
(Prabhadevi Dadar MTNL Exchange.)

Speedtest.net (mtnl mumbai) says everything is ok... (IP: 59.183.38.79)
Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

But Speedtest.net.in and my personal downloading experience says this... (IP: 59.183.38.79)
http://speedtest.net.in/test/4060941

Is MTNL throttling morning speeds, experiencing temp problems or something....very puzzling problem....please give your feedback.

Last edited:
i have a similar experience. even though speedtest shows fullspeed i can feel everything slowing down during the morning. no point in talking to them coz they will say as long as we provide u full speed till our servers it is all fine.

First of all, you should know the difference between Mbps, MBps, kbps and KBps.
If speedtest.net says you are getting 0.96Mbps, then it is keeping it's part of the promise. Mbps is megabits per second
1 megabit = 1/8 of 1 Megabyte, so your speed can also be 0.125MBps i.e. 125kBps or kilobytes per second.

Utorrent and chrome show speeds in kilobytes per second, so you see around 140kBps.
If you go to speedtest.net, and go to settings then choose kilobytes, you will see speed of around 140, if you choose kilobits, you will get speed of around 1000. remember, b = bit, B = byte

Also, get DSL_8MBps_1050, it's worth it and torrent speeds are 850kBps

Math lessons aside, it takes half a day to download 100mb in the morning speeds....been using MTNL broadband for 10 years now, this is the first time this problem has happened...apart from speedtest all other website/downloads go at 10-40 kBps (Kbps/KBps/kbPs/kbpS...whatever you like to call it :p)

What is MTNL doing!!! whats the point of this strategy....10-40 is like the old dial up speed.....and how long is this going to go on...is MTNL going bankrupt or something!

torrent speeds dont amount to much. no streaming or downloads cross 1.5-2 mbits on a 10mbits line here even though i can torrent at 9.5. my life doesnt revolve around torrents. i pay so i can stream content instead of downloading everything

Well, well well. 30 mins for 100mb seems ancient to me now. Even on your plan it shouldn't be more than 20/25 minutes. Open up 192.168.1.1, and check your downstream. It should be atleast 2048. Call up 1504 and just tell them to check it from their database. Also write aan email to triband helpdesk, I;ve found it to help.

I'm assuming that 100mb file is a torrent, so it'
s probably kBps. you should definitely get at least 110kBps. Most likely the node you're at has shitty wiring. Call up your local CSC and ask for a linesman. Also, ask your neighbours if they are on mtnl and what speed ratio they are getting (promised to actual) To avoid math lessons:
Plan speed : uTorrent speed
1mbps : ~120kBps
2mbps : ~ 260 kBps
4mbps: ~ 450 kBps
8mbps: ~850kBps

I found the reason....

recently mtnl has outsourced to Reliance info com
every site located outside India will be routed through shitty reliance.

you guys need to call and book complaint to MTNL and say them

" speed is slow download speed is almost 3 Kbps due to reliance outsourcing. "
reliance is throttling speed.

it doesn;t limit browsing speed .site will open but really pain will come when u play youtube video or
try to download gmail attachment.

good luck f #. u c k you Anil ambani

ppls wake up start complaining daily to 1504.....

i am doing same.

Last edited:
Routing via reliance is much better than via airtel. Tata is still the best though.

No speed issues at any time whatsoever.

Nope. Tata wireless, which itself pretty good international latency.

What I meant was that for a long time, mtnl used tata routes, latency was the best then. With rcom, its a tad bit slower, the response times.

Back