A couple of problems

• Thread starter Thread starter naick
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 2,607

naick

ISP
BSNL BB
Hi, I'm kinda a noob at this. My apologies. I read through a couple of posts and I couldn't find the right solutions. I really don't know if I'm permitted to post. But I'm quite desperate. Once again my apologies. Well , it starts like this...- My first and foremost issue is I'm being charged for my night time usage Like I use certain download programs and set the time to 0200 - 0800. The download goes through the night. And the next day my bandwidth usage shows about 200 MB extra. I forgot .... I got a 500 home plan 2 Mbps connection, with 0200 to 0800 free. Because of this what I did was, I set the time to 0300 - 0800. But now again I get charged around the same mark (160 MB) extra, i.e exceeding night time usage.Please.. is there any soul who has got the same issue. I believe I'm being charged unscruplously for something which I'm not supposed to be billed for.- My second issue is that, the download rate is (top speed) 210 KB/s , but where as the upload (top speed) is 15 KB/s. Is there any explanation.- My third issue is my damn modem keeps turning off and on for no reason of its own. Resulting in an IP change , which I don't desire during my download session. As usual I called up the BSNL 'experts' and they gave some cool replies, of no relevance to the issue. The thing is I would have drowned this connection down the drain, but I made a grave mistake of subscribing it annually. Is there anyway I can come out of this misery. I would appreciate any kind of suggestion or help.Thanx

check your line status in your modem.see the SNR margin(something like that) values for upstream & downstream(US & DS).they must be greater than 10(larger the better) or else you will get frequent disconnections.also see line attn values(lower the better).restart your modem at 2:10AM if you are using pppoe mode(always on mode in which you are connected as soon as modem is on) or connect at this time if you are using bridge mode(you have to connect using windows in this).my guess is you are using pppoe mode.there are telnet scripts available to reboot the modem at a specified time.also match your system clock with some news channel(e.g.AAJ TAK).

well whitestar is right about the SNR..mostly the reason for your modem to disconnect frequently is because of a poor telephone line.. make sure that your telephone line from the pole goes directly to the splitter and then all telephones are connected after the splitter.. do not add a telephones inbetween

thanks for your concern and prompt reply whitestar & superprash.Well as I said in the beginning, I'm a noob.Now what would be an SNR. My modem details: UT Starcom UT300R2UI don't know if you have understood my main concern, which is"My first and foremost issue is I'm being charged for my night time usage Like I use certain download programs and set the time to 0200 - 0800. The download goes through the night. And the next day my bandwidth usage shows about 200 MB extra. I forgot .... I got a 500 home plan 2 Mbps connection, with 0200 to 0800 free. Because of this what I did was, I set the time to 0300 - 0800. But now again I get charged around the same mark (160 MB) extra, i.e exceeding night time usage. Please.. is there any soul who has got the same issue. I believe I'm being charged unscruplously for something which I'm not supposed to be billed for."My downloads started at 0300 this morning as I set it up in my download client (UTorrent) scheduler. And I selected limited bandwidth from 0300 to 0400 and now I got around 80 MB of exceeded usage. This is insane m8. Why am I charged at 3 o'clock in the morning? They ditched me for around 1 GB like this.:(And I'm automatically connected after I switch on the modem , so it must be the pppoe thingy.And I set my system clock in accordance with IST available on the net, and its almost the same with almost all news channels. My internet connection is connected to a parallel telephone connection, may be thats the problem, for the frequent turning off-on thing of modem.

@naick 1. Please can you post the usage data for two days?
extract only NU data and type it here.
2. Which is the modem you are using ? Ut330R2U OK. What is the DC input from adaptor ?
And I'm automatically connected after I switch on the modem , so it must be the pppoe thingy
Yes.If you are confident of changing the settings in the modem to "DIALUP"
select "bridged" in WAN page. Difference is your UserId and PW already set in the modem.
see UT-300R2U ADSL MODEM MENU
3. Are you using an UPS system ?
4. Down load How to find Monthly Dataone bandwidth usage version 1.1. and set it for your
night usage. for cross checking .

Appreciate your concern essbebe

These are the extracts:

Download speed upto 2 Mbps 2008/03/15,00:46:18 2008/03/15,03:33:18 45681 400409 446090 10020 74902

Download speed upto 2 Mbps 2008/03/13,22:57:46 2008/03/14,06:26:40 270738 2637562 2908300 26934 166343

The above are the last two samples(There a couple more but they are because of automatic resetting the modem during that time). I don't think the info is clear. But if you want any clarification let me know. Let me be frank. I download using torrents and the torrent client I use is UTorrent 1.7.7.

I turn on the PC and modem at around 12 midnight Check everything and go off to sleep. About one year back I used to schedule 0200 - 0800. But as you already know what happened, I changed the schedule to 0300- 0800. But I started having the same issue again. I checked my system time and every possible thing that could be done. :( Don't know what else to do.

And essbebe; ""If you are confident of changing the settings in the modem to "DIALUP"
select "bridged" in WAN page. Difference is your UserId and PW already set in the modem.
see UT-300R2U ADSL MODEM MENU""

May I ask why you asked me to do the above, is it useful?

And I do use an UPS, i.e. APC 500VA.

Downloaded the programs you had suggested, gonna try them out.

1.Appears you are an old user with ID xxxx @ dataone.in. IP 59.xx.xx.xx
If so, download this program Quick Dataone Usage Finder from sunish.net | - Thinkings of a tinker who thinks he's a thinker
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x190/essbebe/july15thessbebe.jpg
This will show your billing amount also upto date.
Noted the data you have supplied and there is overlap in second entry.

2. All advise , to disconnect the Internet connection, manully or by automatic program, around 0150AM and reconnect at 0210 AM and again disconnect at 0755 AM.
Then the night usage data will be clearly recorded, and will not count .
3."Dialup" program can be automated to start at 0210AM etc.
4. Frequent disconnections: Check your connections
telephoneJn===>>>Rj11==Splitter==>>ADSLport==>>Rj11===>>>Modem
....................................splitter==>>PHONEPORT==>>>Rj11==>>> ALL Phones.
5. Will post screen shots etc about snr etc on your feedback.

I havn't followed the above yet m8. but let me tell you what happened.my limit has already exceeded now m8. really pissed off! you wouldn't believe it I set the time for download in the client 0300 hr and advanced the system time by half an hour. so it the download session actually starts at 3.30. but there was 350MB added to my usage! :( BSNL *censored*!! "there is overlap in second entry."Didn't understand this part. ""Dialup" program " what is this program m8?Are there any automated programs to turn off and turn on internet connections?

1.2008/03/13,22:57:46 2008/03/14,06:26:40 270738 2637562 2908300 26934 166343
the overlap is start 22.57.46. should have been disconnected at about 0200AM
continues till 06.26.40. now to find out what you down loaded during NU free hours is difficult.
'2.DIalUp" you enter your Id and password ( without telephone number ) in a WanMiniport dialer. Your modem is programmed to start / stop at user defined times
with auto dialer program/s. Type "scheduler" in tags for connected threads.
https://broadband.forum/bsnl-dataone-broadband/19106-bsnl-dataone-broadband-scheduler/
3. If you are a new user with Id @ bsnl.in see first "sticky" message in this forum, to use a program either in IE or Firefox to separate day and night usage data.

3. You can use DQUF program from sunish.net | - Thinkings of a tinker who thinks he's a thinker if you use browser IE.
4. Or you can use addon Datafox if your browser is Firefox. to check your usage.
DataFox - A BSNL DataOne & MTNL TriBand bandwidth usage monitor

Sorry m8. My net was down for a couple of days.

Now.. if I set up the dialer and midway in the night , if my router UT300R2U reboots, the dialer has to be re done manually right?
Right now I'm checking those other posts you mentioned.

Back