Abolish service tax on broadband services: DoT

• Thread starter Thread starter sTrOnTiaBOnd
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 4,843
yeap. you cannot compare wired with wireless broadband. especially when these operators paid shit load of money for the licenses. in fact, even if you only focus on 3G... the price gap is not so much. 1GB can be had for 250 rupees. 15GB can be had for around Rs. 1500. so the range is Rs. 100 to Rs. 250. on desktop. reliance is offering unlimited plans for Rs. 800-1100. airtel on the other hand provide i believe 8GB for a plan costing around Rs. 1200. i mean my bsnl plan costs me 2400 and has 175GB of data. that comes to around Rs. 14 per GB of data. airtel smartbytes i believe charge Rs. 100-150 per GB of data?

The problem in our country is anybody can do anything and get away with it......its our own "chalta hai attitude"......we should not be tolerant against such malpractice in business.....But what can we do, as in our democratic country we are not the ones who are in power/control....we can only suffer. These ISP's are really pain in the a**.....they get the bandwidth & data @ negligible rates and charge us with bucket load of money...!They just know to milk customers on stupid speeds....and their pathetic policies.....! Broadband in India will not improve unless and until stricter laws & transparencies are not followed.....untill then be happy with what you have....!

i mean my bsnl plan costs me 2400 and has 175GB of data. that comes to around Rs. 14 per GB of data. airtel smartbytes i believe charge Rs. 100-150 per GB of data?

My 80 gb 8mbps plans almost that much. But definitely the smartbytes is a joke. I don't know who buys that. I wud rather increase the monthly plan instead of buying into that crap.

i follow smartbytes keyword on twitter. believe it or not, a lot of people love it and pay for it every month. i guess they are happy using it instead of getting a better plan thinking that they would need the extra bandwidth in some months.

here gas food petrol is becoming costly everyday and we are failing to control. finally internet will be cheaper and we will satisfy by watching biryani in youtube.

removing the tax would not magically result in an exponential boom in the internet connectivity around the country. this government needs to fix the mess at NIXI. enforce tighter regulations on the operators so that they are not allowed to charge 10/100 times the cost of bandwidth from the end user.

they need to focus on the 88% of the costs which is decided by the ISP not the government.

you think it would make me insanely happy if i have to pay 2200 rupees instead of 2400 rupees per month for broadband?

12% on cheaper broadband plans (Rs. 500) is like Rs. 50. you think this Rs. 50 is stopping people from subscribing to a Rs. 450 plan? really?

airtel is charging around Rs. 100 per GB on some of their broadband plans. even though they generate profit selling the same bandwidth for Rs. 15 per GB.

fix this shit and broadband plans would become cheaper automatically.

The way you have suggested is not how things work in a market driven economy.

Businesses should be allowed to fix prices on their own prices period.

If you want prices to go down increase the competition may by giving sops to companies entering the sector.

I guess the fair trade practices in India are still not very clear on these things.

The way you have suggested is not how things work in a market driven economy.

Businesses should be allowed to fix prices on their own prices period.

If you want prices to go down increase the competition may by giving sops to companies entering the sector.

I get your point but this only works when there is enough competition and no cartel between the players. I think government did something similar with mobile services.

Broadband market is still not mature and most areas simply do not have enough competition.

I imagine they can start by forcing mtnl and bsnl to offer ultra cheap broadband but then these companies are already making huge losses.

But i think Airtel can be sued in the consumer court for exploiting its dominant position in market. References of RCom or Beam or Fivenet or many others can be given.If they can provide that speed and data and still earn money then its pretty much clear that airtel is exploiting its position. I think this case has some strength if someone is ready to stand up and invest sometime. I think we can have a create a central fund on this forum and people can share their tiny bit of money for the fee of this litigation which i think is about Rs. 5000 in consumer court.

Back