ADSL light blinking, gets fixed when I pick up the phone receiver

TheIndianDragon

Undergroud
ISP
MTNL
so since today morning the adsl light has been blinking everyonce in a while and the internet goes off, when i pick up the phone it gets stable again? and I did hear some noise when i pick up the phone but only for a second or two, then it gets clear and the internet starts up again. why is this happening?

Doesn'T looks like to be exchange fault. Try different phone or check the router at friends line.

You can check the SNR stats and see if they are fluctuating too much, usually why the connection drops out. When you pick up the phone, it causes a spike in the noise level so the modem would try to resync to adjust to the changed line conditions.
Considering the speeds we are operating on (usually shy of 1 MBps) Low SNRs are a lesser cause of concern than if they are constantly varying

The problem seems to be with the wiring from the Pole (DP) to your house.
BSNL these days use wires with very thin insulation which tears out during summer heat and in rains the exposed coppre wire catches corrosion. This disturbs the SNR & line attenuation.

Issue could be with your splitter. Try changing the splitter. I had this issue last year. Also if this is a new line, then I would suspect the wiring itself.

Back