Advise on buying a new Hard Drive.

• Thread starter Thread starter scott274
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 3,733
i have bought stuff from lynx india. the prices are slightly higher and you pay for shipping as well. but they can get you stuff which is hard to find in the market otherwise.and the dude is on msn and u can discuss the details with him easily. very handy.

@op why don't u get a sata pci adapter, shouldn't cost u much, that way u can use a sata hdd on ur old pc.

but isn't it faster??? and u will be future proff if u go on to upgrade ur pc in future, no need to buy a HD then!;)

Never heard about this sata pci adapter. Any more info on it!

^^it's basically a normal pci card with 2 or more sata slots, so u can connect a newer sata hdd on an old pc which does not support sata. I used one for 2 years until I got a new pc.

The only con with it was that i had to load the drivers on a floppy when installing xp on to the sata hdd, but that was only a one time affair when I needed to reinstall xp on it, but I guess that was only with my 1 model.

Here they are on ebay:

http://search.ebay.in/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=sata+pci&category0=

It comes for Rs.500/- :confused: I think it would be cheaper and a lot less hassle to just go for an IDE drive. Are those seagate barracuda IDE drives good. I am not able to find the price for 160GB anywhere on the net. They do come with 5 years warranty but are they expensive.

i have for some weird reason always faced issues installing linux on a sata drive. pata works fine.

yes sometimes u need to disable sata setting on bios to install linux.

Back