Airtel Broadband: bridge on modem plus linux

• Thread starter Thread starter reks
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 3,325

reks

ISP
Airtel
Hi gang,Anyone can guide me to setup a connection on linux? Our beetel 220bx modem is configured for bridged connection. winXP machine connects. I am unable to do the same for linux. airtel says they dont support linux :confused:

Hey.. thanks for the quick reply. Am on mandriva 2007.1 Tried to configure DSL and cable modem connections. Here is summary of my activities:1. Open the "configure network tool" and choose "DSL" as connection type.2. Choose PPPoE (options are dhcp/manual/PPPoA/PPPoE/etc)3. Provide account login and password, VPI = 1, VCI = 32 (same exist on modem)4. Try to start network. Applet says connected, but no connectivity.5. Go back to the network tool and I see protocol is "none" for "adsl (ppp0)". Change protocol to dhcp. restart network. No luck :(7. change protocol to static, feed in ip, dns gateway, restart network, no improvements :madness: Modem sits with the "green data" light off, while my notebook silently picks up somebody else's open minded wifi and goes online :ashamed:

I don't have Mandriva installed on any system so I will just tell you some standard things to check. Normally VPI and VCI settings are usually not required in a PC so probably you can do without them. Have you assigned an IP address to the NIC with the same subnet as of the DSL modem's LAN interface ?After you finish the configuration and connect through the GUI, open a terminal and do the following:1. Run ifconfig command and see if a new interface has been created (ppp0)2. If yes, run route command and see what is the default route.Can you post the contents of the relevant file located at the path given below ?/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*

Hi Manish,Thanks again! Please give me time till evening to try out your suggestions (am in office right now).

Back