airtel broadband changes contention ratio to 1:17

• Thread starter Thread starter warthog
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 19,913
AFAIK , it has been 1:17 since a long time now .

yes its been some time now. but it was never 1:1
It use to be 1:8 i guess

it was 1:1

it was 1:1

Contention ratio (in other words, users per megabit) has never been 1:1 on any consumer broadband plan anywhere ever. Anything below 1:4 in India is basically considered to be a leased line, and in other countries it's usually between 1:2 and 1:4.

The regulations for consumers are 1:50 and 1:30 for residential and business customers respectively. In other words, if I have 100 megabits of bandwidth to the outside world, I can supply no more than 5,000 residential customers.

MTNL has 1:22 at the moment, so in theory, everything else being equal, you should get better throughput on an Airtel connection than an MTNL connection.

Contention ratio (in other words, users per megabit) has never been 1:1 on any consumer broadband plan anywhere ever. Anything below 1:4 in India is basically considered to be a leased line, and in other countries it's usually between 1:2 and 1:4.

The regulations for consumers are 1:50 and 1:30 for residential and business customers respectively. In other words, if I have 100 megabits of bandwidth to the outside world, I can supply no more than 5,000 residential customers.

MTNL has 1:22 at the moment, so in theory, everything else being equal, you should get better throughput on an Airtel connection than an MTNL connection.

IT WAS ON AIRTEL,first it was 1:2 then 1:1

i asked their engineer this not their sales agent.he knew what i was talking about

And you are fogetting that they have terrible FUB at Airtel which helps them as they reduce speeds after short limits

also 1:50 is the residential limit but most give 1:8 worldwide without limits like FUP

IT WAS ON AIRTEL,first it was 1:2 then 1:1

i asked their engineer this not their sales agent.he knew what i was talking about

I can guarantee you that the engineer was not talking about contention ratio. Let's say Airtel has 1 million broadband customers (14% market share), all with an average plan speed of 512kbit/s.

They would have to be using 500,000 mbit/s of international connectivity, or 500gbit/s for it to be 1:1 - that would be 50x STM-64s, which would easily cost 24 crores per STM-64 per year: if they paid less than 50% of *my* wholesale price, which would be 100 crores per month (50x2Cr), which divided by 1,000,000 customers would be Rs1000 per customer, not including equipment (sometimes almost as pricy as the connectivity itself) or local loop, or even the excess bandwidth that they are required to have (utilization is not supposed to exceed 80% according to the regulations).

While the capacity exists on the physical infrastructure, I don't think even BSNL has purchased that much capacity.

also 1:50 is the residential limit but most give 1:8 worldwide without limits like Fair Usage Policy

You're sort of right about most first-world countries not have FUPs (or at least having much larger FUPs than India has), but please stop talking out your arse - most countries have similar contention ratios to India - most of Europe has between 40:1 and 50:1 contention ratios for residential connections. The only time I've seen connections with ratios as low as 1:8 were on Satellite connections, and they suck anyway.

Realistically however, contention ratios can only really exist on unlimited plans.

http://www.trai.gov.in/WriteReadData/trai/upload/ConsultationPapers/167/Reliance.pdf (see section "implied contention ratio")
Internet in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Landline tariffs - Vodafone Ireland
http://www.trai.gov.in/WriteReadData/trai/upload/ConsultationPapers/161/cpaper15jan09.pdf (see table 3 and figure 3)

a 1:1 contention ratio would basically be a leased line wouldnt it?and if i remember correctly those are insanely expensive even for the lower speeds..

a 1:1 contention ratio would basically be a leased line wouldnt it?
and if i remember correctly those are insanely expensive even for the lower speeds..

As I was saying (see post #5). And yes, they are by comparison with consumer broadband.

I can guarantee you that the engineer was not talking about contention ratio. Let's say Airtel has 1 million broadband customers (14% market share), all with an average plan speed of 512kbit/s.

They would have to be using 500,000 mbit/s of international connectivity, or 500gbit/s for it to be 1:1 - that would be 50x STM-64s, which would easily cost 24 crores per STM-64 per year: if they paid less than 50% of *my* wholesale price, which would be 100 crores per month (50x2Cr), which divided by 1,000,000 customers would be Rs1000 per customer, not including equipment (sometimes almost as pricy as the connectivity itself) or local loop, or even the excess bandwidth that they are required to have (utilization is not supposed to exceed 80% according to the regulations).

While the capacity exists on the physical infrastructure, I don't think even BSNL has purchased that much capacity.

i don't know about any other provider or city but in Mumbai they have it or had it.

You're sort of right about most first-world countries not have FUPs (or at least having much larger FUPs than India has), but please stop talking out your arse - most countries have similar contention ratios to India - most of Europe has between 40:1 and 50:1 contention ratios for residential connections. The only time I've seen connections with ratios as low as 1:8 were on Satellite connections, and they suck anyway.

Realistically however, contention ratios can only really exist on unlimited plans.

http://www.trai.gov.in/WriteReadData/trai/upload/ConsultationPapers/167/Reliance.pdf (see section "implied contention ratio")
Internet in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Landline tariffs - Vodafone Ireland
http://www.trai.gov.in/WriteReadData/trai/upload/ConsultationPapers/161/cpaper15jan09.pdf (see table 3 and figure 3)

i am not talking out of my ass and those 1:8 contention ratios only applied to locked speed connections like 2mbps not talking about those Verizon and other upto 50mbps plans.

Back