Airtel Digital TV DTH Launches HD PVR STB

• Thread starter Thread starter hifijay
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 41
  • Views Views 24,870
People who are buying Airtel Digital Recorder and or Tata(sky + are not at all fools.
Did any DTH operator came and told you that they would be launching HD PVR on September ?
DTH operators may launch HD Receiver and Service on September.
But HD PVRs won't be launching anytime soon or better not even before 2-3 years.
As HD-PVR is not that simple as you people think.

I hope you know a good doctor -
Sky Supertelly – Sky+HD High Definition TV - Join Online

You will need someone to get your foot out of your mouth.
Since sky has such a box, Tata Sky can introduce TataSky+ once they lauch their HD services, whether they do that or not is a different question.

Also no DTH operater(yet) has said that they are launching their HD PVRs, though all operators seem to be offering a time frame of around september (before the commonwealth games) for the lauch of their HD offerings. I guess operators would like to offer something different, and HD PVR could be that.
Also since you havent been exactly informed ( you need to check for more events happening in the DTH market in India), I would like you to know that Tata-SKY has signed up with Ericsson (formerly Tandberg Television) to equip its head-end for HD transmission. Also the bigger news (at least for me) is that Conax has signed a deal with Tivo for their Tivo Premiere boxes for Europe and Asia. Dish TV is a customer for Conax , and I certainly hope that Tivo Premier is offered by Dish.

Could I be wrong in estimating that September looks like a possible timeframe for the launch of HD - PVRs? Perhaps. Am I unwise to suggest people to wait until Sep? Certainly not.

India is dream to have HD services like UK

I hope you know a good doctor -
Sky Supertelly – Sky+HD High Definition TV - Join Online

You will need someone to get your foot out of your mouth.
Since sky has such a box, Tata Sky can introduce TataSky+ once they lauch their HD services, whether they do that or not is a different question.

Also no DTH operater(yet) has said that they are launching their HD PVRs, though all operators seem to be offering a time frame of around september (before the commonwealth games) for the lauch of their HD offerings. I guess operators would like to offer something different, and HD PVR could be that.
Also since you havent been exactly informed ( you need to check for more events happening in the DTH market in India), I would like you to know that Tata-SKY has signed up with Ericsson (formerly Tandberg Television) to equip its head-end for HD transmission. Also the bigger news (at least for me) is that Conax has signed a deal with Tivo for their Tivo Premiere boxes for Europe and Asia. Dish TV is a customer for Conax , and I certainly hope that Tivo Premier is offered by Dish.

Could I be wrong in estimating that September looks like a possible timeframe for the launch of HD - PVRs? Perhaps. Am I unwise to suggest people to wait until Sep? Certainly not.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and sensibleness.
Even i am not sitting under the rock to miss a beat on indian DTH happenings.
But you are still too optimistic about the arrival of HD-DVR in my opinion.
I saw the link you posted.

There are lot of things has to be materialized before launching HD-DVR such as

[*]Licensing and Copyright Issues
[*]Subsidization
[*]Hard Disk Space
[*]Performance and Durability
[/list]etc.

Moreover i think DTH operators would be concentrating more on adding HD channels and coming with new packages instead of launching HD-PVR

I still can't believe that Airtel going to launch HD-DVR at this low price.
It would be surely a typo or communication mistake.
Airtel may launch plain DVR for that price point though.

Once HD is there, doing HD-PVR is not big deal. Just need bigger HDD, rest processing remains same.

* Licensing and Copyright Issues
* Subsidization
* Hard Disk Space
* Performance and Durability
h.

* Licensing and Copyright Issues- Thats already taken care of- how else would PVR's already exist- the channel wont change so why will their licensing
* Subsidization- of what?
* Hard Disk Space- How is this a problem?- Are you saying there arr no hard disks available?
* Performance and Durability-- DTH operators will not test this- the technology is in place- their suppliers have it and its already been implemented before- so how is this a problem.

SUN can launch a HD PVR box today if they want.

* Subsidization- of what?
I meant Subsidizing of HD-PVR unit.
The Tata(sky + it self is being subsidized to get this price point.

i did the experiment with airtel iptv. did not turn out to be that good. i have no use for a PVR seriously... i have stopped watching television completely. Airtel IPTV can be blamed for that.

Dude, before you write nonsense without understanding even yourself what you are talking about, do think again before writing here as you are misleading people by mixing and confusing IPTV with DTH. IPTV is extremely low quality as of now in India due to the its reliance on the same bandwidth as the internet and is usually being sold as a package with the internet services. On the other hand, DTH is the Direct to Home satellite service that reaches directly from a satellite to your home without anything to do with the internet. Now, Airtel PVR is a recorder for its DTH service whose picture quality is currently supposedly the best in the country out of all. Anyways, do not confuse serious people who visit this forum for serious information. Thanks.

IPTV is extremely low quality as of now in India due to the its reliance on the same bandwidth as the internet

reliance on the same bandwidth as the internet? really? omg.

On the other hand, DTH is the Direct to Home satellite service that reaches directly from a satellite to your home without anything to do with the internet.

did i say that IPTV has anything to do with the internet? You said that. I did not.

That besides the point here, do not confuse serious people who visit this forum for serious information. Thanks.

I clearly mentioned my views about airtel IPTV. i did not ignore to mention that part. read my post again. i did say AIRTEL IPTV. if users ignore that part, it is not my fault.

I clearly mentioned my views about airtel IPTV. i did not ignore to mention that part. read my post again. i did say AIRTEL IPTV. if users ignore that part, it is not my fault.
did i say that IPTV has anything to do with the internet? You said that. I did not.

Dude, Read your points clearly. You are blatantly blaming Airtel IPTV for your wanting to stop watching television altogether. That sounds totally like you are putting it all on the picture quality of IPTV, which everybody learned about it KNOWS that it is bad quality. So give up on IPTV instead of watching television was the point I tried to make. Seems like its beyond you.

Dude, Read your points clearly. You are blatantly blaming Airtel IPTV for your wanting to stop watching television altogether. That sounds totally like you are putting it all on the picture quality of IPTV, which everybody learned about it KNOWS that it is bad quality. So give up on IPTV instead of watching television was the point I tried to make. Seems like its beyond you.

Actually the picture quality is not so bad, rather it is the occasional service disruptions which are more irritating

Back