• Thread starter Thread starter emptymt
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 12,122

emptymt

Regular
ISP
MTNL
Just got my airtel hd box installed today. Got it free with a new LG LCD purchase. I was running my new LCD on my hathway setop box for a couple of day until the airtel guys came over and installed the HD box.And while I was quite excited about the improved pic quality while going from CAS to DTH and also looking forward to nat geo HD, I must say I am quite disappointed.My LCD is a 42' LG (LH60YR). The hathway pic quality was significantly better in my opinion. Anyone else had such an experience?And am not upset the the quality is lower on a relative basis, but on an absolute basis is dis-satisfactory as well. And the nat geo hd isnt all that i expected HD to be. Its more like DVD quality rather than the 720p .mkv movie like experience i was expecting.Anyone else experienced with such comparisons. There is noticeable pixelation on airtel, spl on channel logos. Never seen that on my hathway box. The hathway box is now running on my old 32" tv in another room now and even though a direct comparison is not appropriate I checked all afternoon and there is no pixelation at all. And certain channels like FX asia, fx crime and discovery, discovery tourbo look absolutely brilliant and as good as dvd playbak.While the installation guys were quick and clinical in their work (very pleased with overall service), they said that there was nothing out of ordinary about my picture quality (i felt the difference as soon as the fellow turned it on for the first time) . Its seemed the same to them as all their other installations. Any suggestions to improve airtel's pic quality? coz i thought with their DVB-S2 technology they offer better quality than other DTH as well let alone CAS.

CAS and DTH have comparable picture quality.

hmm . . ok.and is there anyway to get rid of the pesky airtel logo which always appears in one the 4 corners?

I have switched from my 21" CRT to 32" LCD, both using Airtel HD and disappointed with the picture quality. Non-HD channels were looking good in CRT and not pleasant at all in LCD. Many things are leading this unpleasant experience such that source/encoding quality, aspect ratio mismatch and etc.Regarding Nat Geo HD of Airtel HD on LCD, it is not the best available channel to see in LCD but its a better channel among Airtel's.I have seen a 1080p free video clip from divx website. I can not believe the quality of both the video and the TV. It was amazing. I think, no broadcast can come near to that in the near future in India.

Hi , I would check the quality of HDmi cable , If you Have a good quality cable fine, otherwise it make sense to buy and installone Make sure its 1.3c Or 1.4 MX is a good brand Around (RS 550). secondly if you have component out , Try quality cable try it. It worked for me I got better picture quality and dolby sound with component cables, Try and let me Know.

i am running the box thru a HDMI cable . . though not sure which one . . ie 1.3 etc. the standard one that comes with airtel. anyways in settings in the airtel HD box got around to the resolution and changed it from some non standard default to 1080i. That improved things a bit. Also on my LG lcd features true motion (200hz refresh). Found that turning it off is much better. Combined effect of both settings change is significant and am pretty happy with my picture quality now.PS: any clue on how to get rid of the on screen airtel logo? cudnt find anything in settings in the airtel box. Also is it there on all airtel dth connections or just on those that they give along with promotions like how i got mine.

You can't get rid of the logo. It is present on all DTH vendor's channels....like Tatsky, Reliance and othersYes it sucks, but you kinda get used to it after a few weeks.....for now look at the center of your tv screen :P

Back