Airtel Fiber Bridge Mode

--π—”π—Άπ—Ώπ˜π—²π—Ή 𝗙𝗢𝗯𝗲𝗿 𝗕𝗿𝗢𝗱𝗴𝗲 𝗠𝗼𝗱𝗲--

Today I will give you complete step by step guide that how to activate Bridge mode in Airtel Xtreme Fiber.

πŸ”° Why you need Bridge mode??
βœ… When two NAT devices are connected in series (for instance a modem with built-in NAT capabilities is connected to a router which is also a NAT device), it is advisable to configure your modem in bridge mode to avoid conflicts.

πŸ”° What is NAT?
βœ… In computer networking, the process of Network Address Translation (NAT) involves re-writing the source and/or destination address of IP packets as they pass through a router. NAT allows multiple hosts on a private network to access the internet using a single public IP address.

πŸ”° What is bridge mode?
βœ… Bridge mode is the configuration that disables the NAT feature on the modem and allows a router to function as a DHCP server without an IP Address conflict.

I hope now you have a brief idea about the bridge mode. Now let's come to the main topic and see how to activate the same.

πŸ”° Step 1: Send an email to [email protected] with making the Nodal Desk as CC (You can find the nodal desk email ID's in Google, it's different for each state or telecom circle). Just write in the mail that you want to activate the bridge mode in your Airtel connection. Don't forget to mention your RMN.

πŸ”° Step 2: Within 24 to 48 hours Airtel backend will call you and ask you why you want to activate the bridge mode. You just tell them, you want to use your own router. They will raise a service request and assign an engineer to do the job. You will get the service request number in SMS and also it is visible in Airtel Thanks app.

πŸ”° Step 3: Within the next 24 hours, Airtel engineer will call you and you just tell, you want to activate the bridge mode. If engineer force you to opt for static IP then only take if you actually need it. Basically it will costs you β‚Ή199+GST per month. If you want remote access or remote server or remote storage then only you need static IP, else dynamic IP is okay for you. Then engineer will activate the bridge mode, configure your Airtel Router remotely and give you an username and password for login purpose.

Please keep in mind that firmware of Airtel router is completely locked and you can't change anything. Only Airtel can configure your router remotely and the configuration is permanent, resetting the router will not affect the bridge mode setting. In future, if you want to deactivate the bridge mode, you have to approach Airtel again.

πŸ”° Step 4: Setup the IPv4.

This settings can be different from router to router. Please check the router user manual to set up the PPPoE connection.

Select connection type as PPPoE, enter the same username and password that Airtel provides, set the connection mode as always on, in IP settings select dynamically get it from ISP or if you opt for static IP then enter it, now come to the DNS, if you want your ISP DNS, then select dynamically get it from ISP or you can use any open DNS like Cloudflare or Google.

πŸ”° Step 5: Setup the IPv6.

This is little bit tricky as Airtel only assign IPV6 address for the LAN side.

Select connection type as PPPoE, either check same login information as IPv4 or enter the same username and password, set the connection mode as always on, in IP settings select dynamically get from ISP, now come to the DNS, if you want your ISP DNS, then select dynamically get it from ISP or you can use any open DNS like Cloudflare or Google.

D-Link or TP-Link users select Non-Address in IP settings.

Cisco, Linksys and Netgear users select dynamically get it from ISP in IP settings, and select Auto mode in LAN assignment.

πŸ”° Keynote:

I am using Cloudflare DNS and you can check the settings by visiting Set up 1.1.1.1 on a router Β· Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 docs

After successful setup please turn off the Wi-Fi of Airtel router to avoid the interference.

That's all. Feel free to comment below if you faces any trouble in setup.

I am using only one router provided by Airtel, does using it in Bridge mode helps in any way or I am good this way.

Bridge Mode is applicable when you want to use your own router in router mode (Not AP Mode) front ending ISP WAN without removing the ISP provided ONT router from the equation.
If you have no additional complex requirements (e.g. USB access, WAN profiles, unlocked settings, WiFi 6 setup, VPN server etc etc) many of which ISP supplied ONT routers do not provide and just basic WiFi and internet is what you need then there's no need to go for Bridge Mode.

i have recently opted for Airtel Xtreme Fiber Internet Service... i was provided ZyXEL PMG5617-R20B Router which supports Dynamic DNS, i kept the router in regular mode as provide by ISP and update NAT with IP address and Port number i required to be exposed outside...

i'm able to access them using Dynamic DNS URL:PORT Number, except for accessing the Zyxel PMG5617-R20B Router home page remotely... it looks like its disabled by Airtel

Get "TP-Link XC220-G3v Router" ten better then Nokia and zte. but dasun is best but come with very heavy plan.

much better in range and even mesh setup also.

for airtel user id the email id given in router admin page and password in the Airtel User id can be found on thank app(it all number).

Back