Airtel IPTV for existing airtel broadband users

• Thread starter Thread starter p4paji
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 26
  • Views Views 23,766
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay Admin, thanks to your inputs, I am ready to take a plunge into Airtel IPTV.Currently I have home 999 (past 3-4 years), which is 384 plan, and I was planning to upgrade anyway to 1 Mbps or 512kbps, so the IPTV plan 1599 seems sweet.However I would appreciate if you could answer a few of my queries:1. My prime concern is broadband speed (I already have Tata Sky). There are some reviews which have mentioned degradation of speed. Are you getting consistent speed on the 512kbps, I guess downloads of around 60Kpbs?2. How good is the range of the inbuilt wifi in the set top box? Can I extend the range through repeaters or additional routers? Basically I need the range to run both on my ground and first floor (my Netgear wifi does the job well right now)3. Do we have FUP for broadband in IPTV?4. Are there any issues on time lag while switching between channels, how would it compare to a tata sky? I would imagine a time lag being a bit frustrating5. Can we add additional TV's like in DTH?6. Is the Electronic Program guide really quite bad, compared to say again Tata Sky?7. Finally, are you completely satisfied with the service right now, as far as judders, smoothness of the moving picture etc. are concerned?Thanks, and look forward to your opinion soon.

1. My prime concern is broadband speed (I already have Tata Sky). There are some reviews which have mentioned degradation of speed. Are you getting consistent speed on the 512kbps, I guess downloads of around 60Kpbs?Speeds on Airtel are fine. No problems there. 2. How good is the range of the inbuilt wifi in the set top box? Can I extend the range through repeaters or additional routers? Basically I need the range to run both on my ground and first floor (my Netgear wifi does the job well right now)I use my own Linksys wireless router. 3. Do we have Fair Usage Policy for broadband in IPTV?No clue. If you city has AFUP, it should be applicable i guess. 4. Are there any issues on time lag while switching between channels, how would it compare to a tata sky? I would imagine a time lag being a bit frustratingI think the time lag in IPTV is pretty bad. I am used to it. You really wont be able to jump 10 channels like you do on DTH or Cable. It's pretty painful. 5. Can we add additional TV's like in DTH?Nope. Airtel told me that one broadband connection can support only one television connection.6. Is the Electronic Program guide really quite bad, compared to say again Tata Sky?I find it rather terrible. Hopelessly useless in fact. 7. Finally, are you completely satisfied with the service right now, as far as judders, smoothness of the moving picture etc. are concerned?I love it for Time Shift. And that alone makes me say, I cannot switch to another service because I am used to missing programming knowing I can always watch it at a later stage.

100% agree with what admin has posted on all front! Timeshift is the only functionality alone which will not let me switch to any other service! Apart from cricket, I hardly watch live tv. Even if the program is going to start now, I rather wait for 30 min and then watch it, just to skip the ads :)i prefer to watch news also on timeshift, knowing that i can skip the part i m not interested into.

yeap :Dwhenever a movie worth watching is coming. i would let it run for around 30 minute and then start watching it :D

Where do i call AIRTEL for IPTV in coimbatore ? i am currently on AIRTEL DSL - 256 @ 750 PM

call 121 and ask if its launched in ur area. i doubt its launched in south india. i think its limited to few major cities in north india.

Hi There,I have used the IPTV for past 2 months and found that the though the service is good but still Airtel does not have the technical no how and are inable to provide proper service. There technical representatives do not have any knowledge of the equiment and you need to wait for any kind of resolution for more than 10 -15 days. At my end the wireless router which they had provided did not work properly and was resetting automatically without any reason. But the tech persons were not able to proivde any solution so I have opted back to my broadband plan of 649 Unlimited download with 256 kbps speed. I think Airtel currently is expert in the telecom and broadband service but not in these services - DTH or IPTV. They need more expert knowledge still.

airtel iptv guys are actually pretty competent compared to what i have heard about myway. i have faced issues. but they are mostly network related problems. and they are something no call center or tech support guy can fix for you.

May be you have good experience but at my end the person came restarted the modem as said see everything is working fine. Then after one hour the issue was there. Again he came changed the cables and said see it is working fine. After he left the problem was there. Then again he came updated the firmware and said surely now the issue will be resolved. But as usual the problem was still there. Since then it has been 6 days and daily he says he is coming to resolve the issue. If you say this is what support is then God save Airtel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back