W

warthog

I inquired about iptv and the CC told me that there are 2 plans available
1)599plan

speed 256k 2.5gb limit 117 channels
2)999plan
speed 256k UL 135 channels

1 moive=25 rs

the downside is that the STB will cost you Rs3600 and is non refundable.

also iptv is a 2 way service so will airtel know about which customer is watching which program

IPTV privacy risks
But it became clear to me that one big difference between traditional cable and IPTV is that the IPTV network operator—SBC/AT&T—knows what every customer is watching, and was watching, at every moment. A cable operator does not know which program the customer selects from the broadband multiplex of programming delivered on the coaxial cable. All of those programs are delivered to every home, and the customer uses the tuner in a set-top box or TV receiver to select one. But with IPTV, the customer asks the network to deliver one program at a time. The network records this information. And the network retains it forever.

The IPTV operator has the technical ability to analyze your personal viewing habits, and to sell that information to advertisers...or to give it to law enforcement officials.

Well Yes...they wud know what their customer is watching..as wud ur DTH operator..as wud ur mobile operator....as wud ur ISP....i dont know abt anyway to avoid giving out my personal preferences...but IPTV definetely if implemented well is way...way better than ur cable operator and DTH....

Benefits Premium Pack Rental (Excluding service tax extra,) Rs 399 Number of TV Channels 135 Free PPV 1 Movie (25 Rs) Number of Time Shift TV Channels 12 Time Shift Introductory Offer Free Unlimited Number of Games 5 Games Introductory Offer Free; Unlimited iAstro Services Available iMatinee Services Available iCity Service Available Broadband Speed As Per Broadband Plan Free Broadband Data Transfer Limit As Per Broadband Plan Rate for Additional Usage As Per Broadband Plan Fixed line Free Calling Value As per fixed line plan Fixed line Calling Rates As per fixed line plan

Broadband Speed
As Per Broadband Plan
Free Broadband Data Transfer Limit
As Per Broadband Plan
Rate for Additional Usage
As Per Broadband Plan
So does this mean we can get IPTV with 512kbps unlimited without screwing up our broadband speeds?

right. this plan was mailed to me by airtel customer care. i had asked them to post me packages for existing broadband customers when they are available. so these are the ones. 400 bucks. with 4000 bucks for the set top box. i just might get it. i am not liking the crappy service being given to me by the cable guy. short on money though. so would have to think about it. :(

BB speeds should not be affected by activation of IPTV....thats a crappy thing that happens with MTNL..most airtel lines are good enough for sync rates upto 12 mbps which leaves more than enough headroom for running BB and IPTV

I know that. There was just some controversy because the IPTV plans being offered by Airtel included BB at 256kbps and not more. So one didn't know whether due to some stupid reason or another, BB with IPTV was capped at 256. Glad to see it isn't.

yeap. especially when the hardware does not look very high quality. and we have no idea how upgradable it is. if airtel launches new services in the future, would they also launch new STBs? i am pretty close to getting this connection. just that... the high costs are making it a tough decision for me.

Airtel again showed their "pick the customer pocket as much" attitude. 135 chaanels @399....too high dude. I have MTNL broadband and I am not gonna chnaged my broadband service to Airtel as I already shifted from them to MTNL because of very high billing...(airtel charges upload data as well where MTNL never chare). MTNL unlimited broadband -> Rs. 599Modem rental (wifi) -> 75Dishtv my choice channels -> 200 Total -> 874 .... which is better than airtel where I need to pay 4000 for small chines dabba as well....ha..ha...ha MTNL IPTV have all the channels with lesser price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back