Airtel Mobile Network Down? (right now in chennai)

• Thread starter Thread starter warthog
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Views Views 13,876
my airtel BB went off for 40 min or so late night around 2 am I think just when I was about to post something :P I thought forgot to pay my bill but then I realized its nt that :P

from what i see on twitter, this is not a good time to pay airtel bills online. their systems are sort of overloaded and your payments might not process properly.

from what i see on twitter, this is not a good time to pay airtel bills online. their systems are sort of overloaded and your payments might not process properly.

ouch...my this month payment would be due on 15 I still got time :)

if mgcarley was not carrying a vodafone connection, vedant would probably have missed the meeting. he was trying to contact me on phone/twitter. i of course was disconnected from the world. :D

Ya, you should carry two mobiles with services from two different operators. So, even if one goes down, the other works! That's what I do! :P

Here in Mumbai, I have seen many people carrying one GSM mobile and one CDMA mobile (Mostly Reliance, someones with Tata). Whenever they get a call on their GSM cell, they disconnect it and call them back from the CDMA phone. I have seeing this from a long time especially while commuting in train.I suppose CDMA network has a very good coverage here, have even heard many people saying this.

Kahi aisa to nahi somebody hac*** their network and stole the user base to sell to the marketers....just like TT has twitted :grin:unforeseen problem aur kya ho sakta hai...jo unhone aajtak nahi dekha....lmaooooo!In my village their signal bars dance like oscilloscope! :haha:

This is the second time that Airtel was down. Previously back in July 2008 Airtel was majorly down in Mumbai, during morning time. Unfortunately, due to the absence of MNP, I gave up my Airtel number too.

At that time, Vodafone helped them to restore network temporarily till they were back on their own after 12 hours. Here is the info about what happened then:

Vodafone 'happy to help' rival Airtel in Mumbai - Times Of India

Published in the TOI, dated July 2008: Vodafone 'happy to help' rival Airtel in Mumbai

NEW DELHI: It's not just in politics that arch rivals suddenly become friends. On Friday, India's telecom sector witnessed an unusual alliance, with Vodafone demonstrating that it is "happy to help" not just its own customers but its competitor Bharti Airtel's as well.

When a major fire destroyed some of Airtel's crucial telecom switches in Mumbai, reportedly cutting off services to its subscribers for over 12 hours, the company chose to knock at Vodafone's door for assistance to migrate its customers onto Vodafone's network.

maybe this time vodafone did nt feel happy to help airtel lol

I suppose CDMA network has a very good coverage here, have even heard many people saying this.

Sorry to go off topic but just wanted to reply to that:

Technically CDMA cell site covers a wider area than a GSM cell site. However, with the advent of WCDMA (3G) & HSPA+ networks, it won't be long before 3G cell sites have better coverage than CDMA.

Also, 3G, HSPA+, LTE networks are far more effecient in handling enormous voice & data traffic (due to greater capacity) that they have more customers worldwide than CDMA customers, which makes them more preferred even when roaming internationally.

Back